Post your ideas, suggestions and support issues here.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

I've noticed that I have to login every time I visit the forum even though I check the " Log me on automatically each visit" box.
Is there a browser setting that I need to change?
Firefox v75.0
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

make sure you access the forum via the secure path. the http has to have the "s" at the end...check your URL address..

https://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/
DavidR8

Thanks, that did the trick it seems.
(as an aside, are you General Zod over at Hobby-Machinists?)
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Oscar wrote:make sure you access the forum via the secure path. the http has to have the "s" at the end...check your URL address..

https://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/
WTF, nobody told me that... :roll:

I've been complaining about being logged out and getting that crap error screen when I post, nobody mentioned that I don't think...I'll try it. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

DavidR8 wrote:Thanks, that did the trick it seems.
(as an aside, are you General Zod over at Hobby-Machinists?)
The one and only. ;)
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:The one and only. ;)
It worked twice so far for me one and only! Thanks!

Do you hang out on hobby-machinists? I got banned there early by that dip$#!T Nelson who Tony let run the place...there's more than a few people there I can't tolerate, George Wilson is another POS with an ego the size of the United States.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Oscar wrote:The one and only. ;)
It worked twice so far for me one and only! Thanks!

Do you hang out on hobby-machinists? I got banned there early by that dip$#!T Nelson who Tony let run the place...there's more than a few people there I can't tolerate, George Wilson is another POS with an ego the size of the United States.

Not really. Been on there recently because I was looking for advice on a chuck for my mini-lathe. I saw the welding section so I wanted to help out some folks that were kinda clueless on the technical stuff, of course because they are probably more machinists that welders. I'm neither, lol.

So DavidR8, while you're here: what kind of machining do you do? what machines do you own? Right now I only have a Smithy 1220LTD, but I'm currently looking for a larger mill. Not necessarily a knee-mill, but perhaps most likely a larger benchtop type mill. I'm leaning towards another Smithy because they're affordable for what I need them, like the MI-409MZ, but I was also looking at the Precision Matthews PM-935TV. If you do milling, care to offer your opinion about those two?
Last edited by Oscar on Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidR8

Oscar wrote:So DavidR8, while you're here: what kind of machining do you do? what machines do you own? Right now I only have a Smithy 1220LTD, but I'm currently looking for a larger mill. Not necessarily a knee-mill, but perhaps most likely a larger benchtop type mill. I'm leaning towards another Smithy because they're affordable for what I need them, like the MI-409MZ, but I was also looking at the Precision Matthews PM-935TV. If you do milling, care to offer your opinion about those two?
I have a 1975 10" South Bend lathe and a 1980 Taiwanese mill/drill. Just added a DRO to the mill. The mill works great despite what people say about round column mills. At 600 lbs it is substantially heavier than many bench top mills.

I hear good things about the Precision Matthews machines. You'd be well served by dropping into the Precision Matthews sub-forum on H-M and see what's up from other owners.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:but I was also looking at the Precision Matthews PM-935TV. If you do milling, care to offer your opinion about those two?
I would definitely recommend the PM over the Smithy, not that you were asking me... :roll:

David,

I have 3 South Bend lathes, 2 x 10L and 1 x 9A. I will take one of the 10Ls up to my new shop, it's a 1958 and has a D1-4 spindle, lever clutch, hardened bed and came with the metric change gears (it's an imperial machine, but has both gear charts on it). On the metal stand.

I use a Rivett 1020F mostly at my current home, it will stay there. I have a Deckel FP1 mill and a Nichols Horizontal with a vertical head as well.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

I'm a newbie machinist, I picked up my lathe after researching and then searching for about three months. I bought it from the second owner, a middle school tech arts teacher who bought it for use in his classroom but then found out it wouldn't be allowed because it has no safety equipment. So I scored a 1975 10K with a 48" bed that still has scraping marks the full lengths of the ways.

My mill was only ever used as a drill press. It was still covered in cosmoline and the latches that secure the cover for the belts were still painted shut from the factory. There is zero wear on the sheaves except for one pulley combination.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225

Oscar wrote:but I was also looking at the Precision Matthews PM-935TV. If you do milling, care to offer your opinion about those two?
I would definitely recommend the PM over the Smithy, not that you were asking me... :roll:
That's ok, all input welcome. I didn't know you were into machining. I really like the PM, but I don't know if I really need all that much machine. As little as I weld, I machine even less, LOL. The Smithy is really attractive because of both size and price. Choices......
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:That's ok, all input welcome. I didn't know you were into machining. I really like the PM, but I don't know if I really need all that much machine. As little as I weld, I machine even less, LOL. The Smithy is really attractive because of both size and price. Choices......
Depends on the model you get, but all the PMs are a step up from the Smithy. Those are mostly 3-in-1 style machines, AFAIK.

The knee mills are a lot nicer of course.

Even in the bench mill line, the 940M doesn't look too bad, but still not a knee mill. Don't expect the 25MV to be much more than a mini-mill.

I know someone that just got a PM 16-60 lathe, it's a real nice machine. I've seen people happy with the 14-40s also.

My Rivett is one of the finest toolroom lathes built in America. It's a 1963, came out of the Hershey factory in Oakville, CA when they closed it in the early 2000s. The Deckels are in a class of their own, IMO, also...German mills. Mine is an older one from the 60s, but I like it. My Nichols is from the 40s.

My South Bend 9A came out of the Levi Strauss factory when they closed in the late 1990s.

Here's a link to my Vintage Machinery page: (only US machines on there)

http://vintagemachinery.org/members/detail.aspx?id=3052
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

Oscar wrote:That's ok, all input welcome. I didn't know you were into machining. I really like the PM, but I don't know if I really need all that much machine. As little as I weld, I machine even less, LOL. The Smithy is really attractive because of both size and price. Choices......
Depends on the model you get, but all the PMs are a step up from the Smithy. Those are mostly 3-in-1 style machines, AFAIK.

The knee mills are a lot nicer of course.

Even in the bench mill line, the 940M doesn't look too bad, but still not a knee mill. Don't expect the 25MV to be much more than a mini-mill.

I know someone that just got a PM 16-60 lathe, it's a real nice machine. I've seen people happy with the 14-40s also.

My Rivett is one of the finest toolroom lathes built in America. It's a 1963, came out of the Hershey factory in Oakville, CA when they closed it in the early 2000s. The Deckels are in a class of their own, IMO, also...German mills. Mine is an older one from the 60s, but I like it. My Nichols is from the 40s.

My South Bend 9A came out of the Levi Strauss factory when they closed in the late 1990s.

Here's a link to my Vintage Machinery page: (only US machines on there)

http://vintagemachinery.org/members/detail.aspx?id=3052
They do make 3-in-1 machines; I have the 1220LTD. But the one I linked is a 9x40 Bench Mill and only that, not a 3-in-1. It seems to be comparable to the PM-940. I probably won't be getting either anytime soon, more so for next year.
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:They do make 3-in-1 machines; I have the 1220LTD. But the one I linked is a 9x40 Bench Mill and only that, not a 3-in-1. It seems to be comparable to the PM-940. I probably won't be getting either anytime soon, more so for next year.
I just looked at both links you put up there. I wouldn't get the Smithy, no way. The PM you liked to is a knee mill, if you can save up and get that, that's what I recommend.

If you could fix one up I'd say buy a vintage one, but I don't know your skills in regard to machine repair/refurbish. You need machines to fix machines. Texas is tough pickins, I've heard, but so is Cali and I have found my share of scores. Some of them I got for a song, some I paid a fair price for. If you have 3 phase it helps, those are the best buys and most home shops don't have 3-phase. So even getting an RPC opens up a whole realm of affordable industrial machines. However, you need to get versed in moving heavy equipment also, that's a steep slope in itself.

If you can find good working vintage machines that don't need any work, that's always ideal, but it takes some knowledge to know what to look for so you don't get a lemon. There's a lot to know about metalworking machines, lathes, mills, saws, grinders, polishers, fabricating, etc...there's a lot to know and most are pretty dangerous.

PS - I'm on scheduled to be delivered tomorrow/today, machine is at UPS in San Jose. 8-)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

Thanks but refurbishing a machine is at the least of my desires, lol. I dont need another project to work on a project, if you know what I mean. I'll post up another thread since I know we get derailed on this train very fast as of late. Must be something wrong with the rails. :lol: