Post your ideas, suggestions and support issues here.
Kfactor239
    Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 am

Jody,
Could you do a video on how to grind out a bad weld and run a new weld? When you should and shouldnt, how bad is ok. I primarily do tig and mig mild steel. There are plenty of videos showing how to do thing right but what about when you mess up. I think it's a part of the learning process that is missing. What to do when you screw up.
Thanks,
Kenny
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Sorry to burst your bubble but Jody doesn't actively participate in the forums. Hopefully he does read this, but I wouldn't hold my breath. To me its pretty simple. You grind it out and re-do it when it is "not up to par". How you define "up to par" is up to you, but to me I look at the angle of the toe to the base metal, aka how well the weld wetted in, as well as the overall size of the weld bead. Too cold, and it will be too "piled up".
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

When in doubt grind it out!
How bad is too bad becomes a matter of perspective. I recently was part of a crew of 4 guys, we welded out a 14” 900# flange on sch 160 pipe. Because it was power house code work the standards were a little less stringent than boiler code work. We were allowed to have up to 3 imperfects per inch of weld, but none of them could be over 1/16”. Note that sch 160 pipe at that size is about 1.75” thick. It had a tig root and the rest was 7018 stick.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Kfactor239 wrote:Jody,
Could you do a video on how to grind out a bad weld and run a new weld? When you should and shouldnt, how bad is ok. I primarily do tig and mig mild steel. There are plenty of videos showing how to do thing right but what about when you mess up. I think it's a part of the learning process that is missing. What to do when you screw up.
Thanks,
Kenny
jody has done video's of repairs and repair mock ups.
its basically the same situation. the techniques are the same regardless of how the mistake was made.
when you should or shouldn't is really subjective. depends a lot on what it is and what its used for. you have to decide what is "fit for purpose".
tweak it until it breaks