Post your ideas, suggestions and support issues here.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

You have sections for Tig, Mig and Stick welding but no section for Gas welding?
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

I agree with WorkSpace. While cleaning up the forums I ran across a bunch of post all over the place and thought the same thing.

Give us a Gas Welding sub-forum and I'll go back at it.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

It is definitely a lost art. Would like to see a video on it maybe. I am not sure it requires a desperate sub forum though. I'll play along either way.
Be the monkey....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Oxy-fuel does still have a place.

I can still do it, and fairly well, should the need arise. I remember it as the go-to process for muffler shops.

It seems to be relegated to the decorative arts, anymore, but here in the New Orleans area, it can be found. Much of the wrought-iron to be seen in the French Quarter and Garden District is repaired, or duplicated and replaced, using more traditional techniques. That gas flame gives the artist something much closer to the Smith's forge to work with, and a fairly authentic method for on-site repairs (meaning the heat effect and scale produced are similar, especially if you use a carburizing flame).

Two cent's worth.

Steve S

It's also one of the fastest ways to get a rusty nut off of a bolt.
It's my preferred method of welding aluminum.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I used to always weld thinner metal with the torch & save the (old miller thunderbolt) for the heavy stuff. Then I got my tig and mig machines, they changed everything, I havent even tried stick welding in many years. I have an old 'Brookstone' O A torch about 4" long I use for silver soldering small things, and as WerkSpace sez, "It's also one of the fastest ways to get a rusty nut off of a bolt" (full sized torch)

-corne-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!

In the past few months, when I need to heat up a rusted nut or bolt, I reach for my MultiPlaz.
In Mode 1, it behaves very much like an oxy/acetylene rig but without the expensive gases.
I have a good assortment of welders, so I can choose what ever works best for me.

My latest interest is the LinuxCNC EMC2 (free) machine control software.
It can control up to 9-axis simultaneously. That's really got me thinking.
http://www.linuxcnc.org/
http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/download
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7V57_7H9zw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFyExOaBysY
    Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:55 am

WerkSpace wrote:You have sections for Tig, Mig and Stick welding but no section for Gas welding?

Yes, noticed this too, the index page has no section for Oxy-Acetylene Welding/Cutting and Plasma. When I checked on my earlier reply on a thread about oxy-ace circle cutting design, I learned that it was moved, but where, in what forum, so I checked the index board to looke for the oxy-ace / plasma forum but there is none so I went to the Welding and General shop Talk forum and there it was. In my honest opinion a forum for Oxy-Acetylene and Plasma cutting should be included right after the Stick Welding (MMA) forum. Since Jody has come up already with a video on its set up and usage before which I know we loved and enjoyed watching, all questions, replies and perhaps suggestions plus pics can be posted in this forum specially when it concerns this process of welding and cutting. I do believe there are lots of questions out there that needs to be answered and lots of information and knowledge that need to be learned as well, only perhaps members don't post it here because there is no available forum for it yet.

I guess most of the members here if not all have an oxy-acetylene set up in their shop or garage using it for cutting, welding or heating up metals to be bended aside from having the plasma cutter.

I just hope the Admins can give some attention and considerations to this addition of forum, I know this will properly organize better several threads being posted and will be concerning this setup. ;)

Thanks,

Robert
Skiddz
    Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:18 am

Hate to necro this thread, but didn't want to start another one with the same subject. Since it appears that this thread never gained any traction, can I ask that it be revisited? This is my "go-to" forum for all things arc welding/cutting and since I've been taking some classes (Got my AWS D1.1 cert a few weeks ago - currently in the "frustration" stage of a TIG class) I'd like to break out my old Oxy/Acetylene rig and give that a go.

Barring the creation of a dedicated Gas forum, where might I find a "Jody" doing gas videos? I know about Bob Moffatt's vids; are there any others to check out?

Great forum, have learned a ton already, I just wish some of it would transfer to my hands and head. :)
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

I agree with you, No one a just section for gas welding :idea:
I do both MIG and Gas welding and brazing

Dave

WerkSpace wrote:You have sections for Tig, Mig and Stick welding but no section for Gas welding?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey fellas. I'm a moderator here, and as much as the subject you are referring to is a major building block of our industry, we don't see much traffic about it here. I'll contact Jody and his son Joey who at one stage was running the IT section of forum. I'd say we should be able to get a section under fuel gas welding, brazing, soldering and other things.

Thanks for the input. Regards, Mick
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I've just had word from admin that they will add this section when time permits.
Skiddz
    Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:18 am

Thanks to the mods/admins/IT weenies <grin> for adding that forum. Now to formulate my 3.4 billion question post. :)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I posted under it. It definitely has a place in the current format.
I have more questions than answers

Josh