Post your ideas, suggestions and support issues here.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jody,

noddybrian posed some suggestions re: the TigFinger, worth considering, Here:

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=2&t=3149

The idea of "sizes" has merit, as does the idea of creating a hybrid glove, with the material incorporated in appropriate places.

I don't see a "one fits all" solution in the hybrid glove concept, but a glove based this way could be simply suplemented with "fingers" as needed, even sold as a set.

Just sounded like a good idea, so I'm thinking out loud...

Steve S
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

I vote that the glove could be called "The MIG Knuckle." :D
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Never looked on this bit of the forum before ! bit surprised to find out I'd had a good idea!
If there is a glove produced I vote for calling it " the hand of Jody " or " the guru glove " or even " the Collier magic hand "
It does need a disclaimer though - buying this product will not make you a Tig weld Jedi master overnight & while it will help control of an over hot air cooled torch your eyesight will be as bad as ever !
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I have an idea for a glove cover, combining a foil covered "glove saver" and some muffler/exhaust wrap, trimmed down and sewn together (the muffler wrap is a coarser version of the tig finger material) The idea being, the glove saver protects from spatter and the wrap gives heat protection . I have discovered that tig fingers dont like being burnt by sparks, spatter. Nor do they like being put though an industrial washing machine in the pocket of your overals, after said spark burning, mine has fallen to bits.....

Mick
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

I really like these glove ideas. I don't own one but I always thought the tig finger looked a little cumbersome. I would love to have the "prop against the hot stuff" without the hot fingers and leather shrinkage.
Be the monkey....
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

I love the tig finger but it would be even better if it were in a glove. I used to have these Tillman gloves with drag pads incorporated in the gloves they worked well but definitely not as good as the tig finger. It would be probly the best glove out there.
Chuck
    Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 pm

I "borrowed" my wife's Ove-Glove" for my torch hand and combined with a tig finger it really works well. My fingers stay nimble and it feels like you could almost prop on the bead. Plus after using it once, she doesn't want the glove back so everyone's happy, kind of.
Attachments
ove glove.JPG
ove glove.JPG (154.93 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I also like the idea of a glove or protector for a glove. I have used one or two TIG Fingers as a "back hand pad" and it worked fairly well. A full glove may be quite expensive to design and manufacture, but I think there would be a small market for it, although maybe not enough to justify the expense. I will take 6 without seeing a proof of concept. I know you are reading this Jody, what say you?
-Jonathan
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Whether or not the glove is made from that material I think Jodie's videos have a wide enough following now that if he showed a glove that he designed / manufactured it would sell - the places that sell welding gloves obviously have no idea about tig welding - we can get big clumsy gloves that tolerate heat or stupidly thin gloves that fry your hand with a huge baggy 6 > 8" dangling cuff that's of no use - sometimes it takes a welder to understand what a welder needs & there seems little excuse these days for saying material suitable does not exist - the tig finger I believe must be getting widely accepted - it's even available locally to me - so if the guru came up with a decent glove I'm sure people would buy it because we trust what he says - if he says something works that's good enough - even if the product was too expensive for companies to buy in quantity I think there would be enough guys want to buy a pair for themselves to make it worthwhile - but glove or no glove PLEASE make a version of the tig finger for people with thinner fingers !
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I find that the side of my hand is where I need more protection. I usually put the finger on my pinky but the base of my hand is unprotected so if there was a glove made or something that went down and hooked around the wrist or something then that would be nice.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Well I am seriously thinking about how to make a "tig finger" material glove myself. I gave brand new 50L gloves to someone learning to 6G stick weld and he shrunk the right glove so tight I can not get my hand to close. I just thought that had to hurt but he never said a word.
-Jonathan
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

I think some form of "over glove" would be a great design - put it over my TIG glove. I get the TIG glove of my choice, and replace it frequently. Make the thumb and pointer finger shorter and open-ended, or leave them off altogether.

For how I weld, I find that radiated heat is a bigger problem than propping. The backs of my fingers get cooked from heat radiating off the workpiece. I even bought a pair of firefigher's rescue gloves, only to discover the 600-degree heat protection was on the palm-side of the fingers, and not where I needed it.
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!