Post your ideas, suggestions and support issues here.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I'm of the understanding that your first post needs to be approved before it is added to the forum. Could I suggest that your first post must come in the form of an introduction through the introduction page. No introduction, no second post.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

There's a solid thought.

It will need to be added to the sign-up page, in the same area few read about first posts being approved...

However, we often have folks who introduce themselves rather well when they first post in other sub-forums.

We, as moderators, have the opportunity to reply to an as-yet unapproved poster, though, and could suggest a better approach before they are approved...

I'll have to think this through and attempt it when I'm not so far in to my evening beverages.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I'm sure you guys can work out the particulars.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I thought about responding in private but I feel this is a good topic to discuss in the open. While I don't particularity care for someone posting only once with a question and once they see their answer never post up at least a thank you, I am not sure making it a rule that you have to introduce yourself is such a good idea. At one time I strongly shared the belief that one should but now feel it might drive potential members off when we say you must say hi or tell us about yourself. You know how it is at times, you run into a problem and start searching online for a solution. Who wants to introduce their-selves? On the flip side of that coin I think it is respectful to be polite and not use forums just to get what you want and give nothing back.

What changed my mind on the matter was why do we need someone to say hi that has a legitimate question to which we can give a good answer? I don't do this as a matter of pride, I just want to help others and in turn be helped. At the end of the day the OP might not respond back in thanks but I guarantee there will be lurkers who might read and learn from our answers, which is a win in my book.

And, it does sound a little snobbish, and I'm guilty of doing it, to answer someones first question with something like "I have your answer but first tell me about yourself" or something to that nature. True, we are a very close "family" but that won't change with the 1% of posters who never come back and post again.

Just a few thoughts.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jonathan,

I think that was well reasoned. Makes perfect sense to me. I know damn well when I answer a "first post" question that I might never hear from that person again. Still, as you said, the question was asked and answered, and is there for everyone's benefit.

I think it was Mark Twain who said, "If you lend a man five dollars, and never see him again, it was probably worth it."

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Jonathan,

I think that was well reasoned. Makes perfect sense to me. I know damn well when I answer a "first post" question that I might never hear from that person again. Still, as you said, the question was asked and answered, and is there for everyone's benefit.

I think it was Mark Twain who said, "If you lend a man five dollars, and never see him again, it was probably worth it."

Steve S
Steve, what would that $5 be in today's market? :lol: :roll:
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I can think of a few people I would give $100. To go away.
I have more questions than answers

Josh