Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
Tx1afan
    Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:24 pm

Howdy guys and thanks for all the great info on the site!!

I am retired and in my late 50's. I live in a very small community in Texas. There aren't any welders in this area that can do small jobs i.e. Gate repairs, BBQ pit repairs, etc etc. I am considering opening a small shop and doing some of these jobs to try and keep busy as well as maybe make a couple more dollars here and there. I do own a small Hobart gas powered machine with an oxy/acet torch on a small 10ft trailer that I have used to do odd jobs and repairs around my place for several years. I have never had any formal training or possessed any certificates for welding. My father and grandfather were water well drillers for many years and I learned what knowledge I do have from them while I was growing up.

My question is, what would be the minimum requirements I would need to open this potential shop? As well what would you guys suggest as far as maybe carrying liability insurance and or being bonded?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome!

I'm going to copy this into "general shop talk", where a lot more people will see it. There will be some great advice, and several links to previous similar topics for you to read through.

Steve
Tx1afan
    Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:24 pm

Thank you
    Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:41 am

Tx1afan wrote: My question is, what would be the minimum requirements I would need to open this potential shop? As well what would you guys suggest as far as maybe carrying liability insurance and or being bonded?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Tx1afan,
Minimum requirements to have a business is to have a paying customer. :D

Bonding is a requirement of the purchaser.. I've never needed a bond.. the company is financially able to be bonded. It's just a second line of insurance where someone else says you'll do what you say you're going to do. Generally based on previous performance and financial stability.
Insurance is a two way street. You might want that in case you accidentally cause some damage. If you're going to be working from your shop, in case you burn it down. If working mobile, in case you burn their's down.
Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.