Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
byumetalman
    Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:23 pm

What do I go for? I have been the lead welder/manager of the welding shop for Brigham Young University for the past 12 years and am always looking to improve. I only manage one other person; but multiple jobs and budgets and estimates for repairs and fabrication for campus. The CWS seems like the best fit? I know that the CWE and CWI are the same minus one section. Here's the kicker. Going through the trouble to achieve any of these will not increase my pay. Convincing those over me to pay for the training might take more effort than taking the tests. Also I'm not in the position at the moment to afford it on my own dime. If everything worked out; is it worth staying employed with the University or do I seek other ventures. Just a lot of thoughts. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Aim for the top qualification that will keep you doing the job you enjoy. No point being super qualified and hating every minute. In Australia you have to work up in stages according to how much inspection you have done. It's unfortunate, because if you are in a situation where you are not doing inspections, you can't further your qualifications. (some qualifications only)