Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
unclephaze
    Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:18 pm

I am currently finishing up an associates degree in welding technology from Illinois Central College. I am looking to add to this degree, and earn a bachelors in welding engineering but I am looking for feedback on what schools around the country that you know of, that have good or not so good programs, as far as preparing you for the job.I have been working full time as a production MIG welder for the past two years while going to school. I am nineteen years old and i love the hard, honest work of welding, but i feel that 20, 30, 40 years down the road i may appreciate having a job that pays a little better while not wearing my body quite so much. thanks for all your input, Alex.
BDoubleU

Congratulations on your accomplishments! Education with practical, hands-on experience is a great combination for success. It sounds like you have a strong work ethic, are technically minded and want to continue learning - which is a great attitude!

Earning a Bachelors degree in welding can lead to a variety of career opportunities - espcially if you're good. WE's can also earn a decent living - because they're "in demand." That's partly because welding engineering is a specialized program that's quite costly to operate. Of the schools that offer a BS degree in the field of welding, each has their own strength. Here's a few to research:

1. Ferris State University - Big Rapids, MI
2. Ohio State University - Columbus, OH (may not accept transfer students, 4 year program required)
3. Weber State University - Ogden, UT
4. LeTourneau University - Longview, TX
5. PennState University - State College, PA

I'm a Ferris State alumni, but I have worked with graduates of each program and compared notes. Each of them represent excellent programs within their areas of focus. You should select a university that aligns with your interests and aspirations ... not to mention a suitable climate. Beyond specific welding engineering programs, there are other similar disciplines that would get you invovled with welding. At Ferris, welding was a manufacturing engineering discipline ... and many ME programs will offer a welding or metallurgy emphasis. So, you do have the option of choosing an alternative route ... and still being involved with welding. Study up and apply early because there's usually a waiting list to get into the program.

I'll put a final plug in for Ferris ... which is a huge consideration in your situation. FSU accepts associate degrees from other schools. When I was there, we had many students from around the country that came with an AAS in welding technology from a different school. I happened to complete all 4 years at Ferris, but others "transferred" in as you would with your degree. So, based on your transcripts - you could start out as a junior in the engineering program. OSU, which is heavily engineering based & accredited - does not accept "transfer students." So, while they may allow some credits to transfer - you will end up completing a 4-year program.
weldfusion.com
unclephaze

Thanks BdoubleU. I talked to the admissions at Ferris State and they said they weren't taking anymore transfer students until the fall of 2015, but Im keeping my options open so if i decide that i like their program the best, the worst case scenario is I work for a couple years and make some more money before going back to school. I think my biggest problem is deciding on what niche of WE to focus on. I like the manufacturing side of welding but I want to move back to my home in western Massachusetts after I finish my schooling and there just isnt manufacturing base there to make pursuing that niche practical. The other focus I've been thinking about is non destructive testing. I need to do more research but what I really want is something practical that will always be in high demand. What did you focus your degree on BdoubleU? Would you focus on the same thing if you could do it over again? Thanks, Alex
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

unclephaze,

I do a lot of NDT in my work, usually searching out microscopic leaks in several thousand square feet of vessel. I use three primary methods, and since it's vacuum work, Mass Spectrometry (helium leak detection) is foremost. I find it very interesting. I do it primarily at the "technician" level, finding each leak.

I also use dye-penetrant testing, once I've localized a leak to a square inch, or will use "Snoop" soap-bubble testing for a gross leak.

I find the process challenging and interesting. It requires a lot of thought and detailed note-taking, and patience. I'm also certified to make the repairs, so it's usually my baby start-to-finish.

Found this one this morning:
GEDC0545.JPG
GEDC0545.JPG (153.29 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
NDT is an interesting field, and if it will keep you where you want to be, it's worth considering.

Steve S
BDoubleU

unclephaze wrote:Thanks BdoubleU. I talked to the admissions at Ferris State and they said they weren't taking anymore transfer students until the fall of 2015, but Im keeping my options open so if i decide that i like their program the best, the worst case scenario is I work for a couple years and make some more money before going back to school. I think my biggest problem is deciding on what niche of WE to focus on. I like the manufacturing side of welding but I want to move back to my home in western Massachusetts after I finish my schooling and there just isnt manufacturing base there to make pursuing that niche practical. The other focus I've been thinking about is non destructive testing. I need to do more research but what I really want is something practical that will always be in high demand. What did you focus your degree on BdoubleU? Would you focus on the same thing if you could do it over again? Thanks, Alex
I knew that Ferris had a waiting list, but didn't expect 2015 ... that shows the demand in the welding industry. You can never discount the value of experience ... and the more experience you gain, the more you'll know the right direction for you. I have a WE degree from Ferris State ... and actually went to school with some great guys from the Northeast. Both returned to that area & were working in the aerospace industry ... lots of precision TIG work with Pratt & Whitney and GE being in the area.

As far as going it all over again? I wouldn't change anything ... looking back. I welded in the food & beverage industry and gained valuable experience welding sanitary tubing. I took some time off to work between my associate and bachelors degree too ... and when I returned to school - my head was in the game. My background gave me the opportunity to work in the welding equipment industry, where I spent more than a dozen years with Miller Electric. It's not what your degree is, but what you do with it.
weldfusion.com
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

UnclePhaze.

In eight to ten years, an unstudied welder, that works hard, has good eye/body coordination, and is smart; will develop the start of good techniques. If that welder also has a two year program in welding technology, it will happen in half that time.

On the other hand, if a company wants to develop a welding technician/technologist from scratch, it will take six to eight years. If there is already a two year technical degree, then perhaps in four years. If by chance, there were also four to eight year experience as a welder, it will only take two years to get that technician/technologist up and running.

Very few welders are also studied welding engineers. Very few welding engineers are ex seasoned welders. Both of them are worth their weight in gold. A welding engineer that is welding in a shop will find it difficult to retain that position. Management is always trying to push them into production supervision/management, quality coordination/management, welding engineering, etc.. On the other hand, a welding engineer, that has that seasoned experience as a welder, will pull a lot of muscle when day-to-day dealing with production supervision/management and quality supervision/management. Often both production and quality will try to recruit them.

If you add the willingness to travel onto the above options, you are even more valuable. If you have besides English, a good knowledge of at least one other sought after language (Chinese, Russian, Spanish or French, that value jumps again. Add on a good working knowledge of the spreadsheet/word processing/database, and again it jumps. Picking up the NDT certs during the degree program will open even more doors, even if you will not be the NDT technician.

At the age of nineteen ... it looks like you are heading in the right general direction. There are various options.

Alexa
unclephaze

Thanks Alexa, I appreciate your input.