Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Wes917 wrote:All education is good IMO as its something that no one can take from you
This ^^^^

Education is always a tricky thing as (as a student) it can be hard to 'see' why you have to do certain things that seem totally un-related to 'real life'. But IMHO a lot of these seemingly disconnected-from-reality courses can teach/train you in other ways than the subject matter itself. Eg. logical reasoning, structured work, 'self sufficient' work, etc.

As such any 'advanced' education you can get your hands on is a boon and will probably help you in a lot of other general areas than the actual/exact subject matter. The process itself helps to train your brain-cells to work in certain ways and look/think in (creative) solutions and how to work towards these solutions.

Of course some people do not care or want to 'understand' what they are doing, which is fine if that's what they want. Most of you probably know some people like that who (as I call it) tend to only do 'monkey-see, monkey-do' and don't progress anywhere because they simply don't want to or don't care.

But for those who do want to advance and 'understand' what you do (and I suspect a lot of people here have signed up to do exactly that.. 'understand' welding and get better ;) ), any higher education is simply another tool in the toolbox and it helps to be able to work things out in a structured and methodical way.

BTW.. I'm not saying that you NEED an advanced education!! There's plenty of highly skilled and very smart/wise people out there who hardly went to school, but these people often have the same 'drive' to figure out stuff (instead of repeating endlessly) and do it their way. Education can just help to broaden the skillset and mindset..

Sorry for the long-winded post.. :oops:

Bye, Arno.