Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I see the utility of having a program where a student can get an associates degree. I think that, going forward, 'paperwork' is going to become more and more important. The program I run is a one year program and any student, after completing the welding course, can then pursue an associates by taking the academic classes. My idea is to get them in here for a year, and in that year educate them as much as I can in SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, FCAW, (all positions), oxy/fuel cutting, plasma cutting, blue print reading, metal fabrication, professionalism and pipe. Students can earn AWS Certifications in SMAW 3G, GMAW 3G and GTAW aluminum 1G. I have them in class for about 24 hours per week. Missing days will very quickly result in a failing grade. It might sound like a lot, but, as I teach the students; their skill level grows like a balloon, not in columns. What I mean is that as we are going through SMAW, they don't have time to 'master' a 6011 fillet weld. But that doesn't matter. We move on and move on and move on. Their skill level is constantly increasing, and they are learning that a puddle is a puddle is a puddle. For example, at the end of the ten week session on SMAW, I have them 'go back' and retake a test on something like the 6011 fillet. They are amazed at how easy it is, now with the level they are at.

The school I am currently at will cap class sizes at 16 students. When I was teaching at a college in Minnesota, class size was about 20. That was fine, you learn how to stay on top of things. When I was teaching in ironworker apprenticeship, class size could be around 40. I currently have about ten, and for me that is a breeze. A smaller class can be more fun, too.

As Otto pointed out, we did kind of hi-jack your thread. But, these kinds of issues are the kinds of things that come up!

Gary