Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
StephenPerkins
    Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:31 am

I'm in tulsa welding school and in phase 9 we have the option to pick downhill pipe or high frequency tig but we can't do both. which one do you think would most benifit my career? Thanks stephen
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

StephenPerkins wrote:I'm in tulsa welding school and in phase 9 we have the option to pick downhill pipe or high frequency tig but we can't do both. which one do you think would most benifit my career? Thanks stephen
Hi, Stephen,

That's a tough question, and depends on the career path you want to choose.

Downhill pipe is likely an XX10 "all the way", in the style of a pipeline welder. Working outside all year and travelling, or working in a shop building spools for LNG compressor stations.

HF Tig will train you for aluminum and a few other alloys, where you'll most likely work in a shop and drive the same distance each day.

The pipeline money is "better", but in the cost/benefit analysis, it's often a wash, as travelling expenses add up in ways that are not obvious.

At this point, it sounds like a career-path decision, but in my opinion, unless you want to be a pipeline welder, the HF Tig creates more options.

Just one opinion.

Steve S
StephenPerkins

My ultimate goal is the pipeline career path and thank you for the responses!
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

To me it's dumb that we can't do both.
I think I'll rephase and do both.
Personally I think it's better to have both.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
StephenPerkins

Right that's what I'm sayin we pay all this damn money but we don't get to learn all the welding processes its dumb
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

So apparently we can do both, but it's not the whole shebang of both, and still crammed into 3 weeks.
Can also do one, then come back for help on the other.
I'm going to do HF. But im fairly tied down, so pipeline traveling doesn't interest me that much.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
StephenPerkins

That's what I've heard too I think I'm gonna do downhill I wanna pipeline eventually