Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
    Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Ok jody so about 3 years ago I really wanted to learn how to weld. Then I watched every single video you had at the time. I sat there and taught myself how to weld and even got jobs because of your amazing talent to teach!
But I am stuck brother I am in a tight spot and need serious advice to continue going on in the welding trade.

Ok so here are my choices for education so far.
1 I take the assessment test for the Pipe fitter union next Friday if I pass I get a interview if I get the job great.
2 If I do not get the job should I goto college for school or tulsa welding school ?
I say tulsa cause they actually teach me what I need to know for certain welds. For instance a 2G or 6G weld I need to know those things and how to do all that.
My hope for all this will be eventually get a ton of welding training then possibly goto school for CNC machining as well so that I can open up my own Fab shop.
Am I going down the right path Jody? I hear tons of controversy about tulsa all the naysay about it and how it does not find you jobs. But in theory I do not care about the job part I care about what I will truly learn from there.
I seen you have been there what is your thought on tulsa would you recommend me going there if the Fitter union does not accept me?

Ok sorry everyone that was kinda long I know I am just looking for guidance thank you guys!
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate. Jody doesn't stop by here much, but there are plenty of other people who can offer ideas. What's your background and current situation?

My back ground is in some welding. I do know Mig overhead, stick over head , horizontal I have tried some Vertical up but never had anywhere to truly practice it. But my true goal is I really wanna know more I guess. I wanna be that guy who can do a 6g or a unlimited thickness test ya know. I really would like to open up my own fabrication shop someday.
But I know I can not do that with out some sort of schooling.
I talked to my local college and literally almost shit a brick when he told me that " oh we do not provide welding symbol classes" I was like you are shitting me correct? I was like how am I supposed to even learn to read blue prints then? which I can read them I just can not read symbols. I would love to learn how to weld exotic metals to like titanium and just learn more stuff.

I would also like to say I have the utmost respect for the people who been welding a long time and anyone willing to give me advice or teach me I will listen to you.
So can someone steer me in the right direction? I am really thinking about tulsa welding school in the next two months. The only reason I can not go next month is because I am still studying for my GED and I take that on the 19 of February which I will pass!
So thank you for replying I do hope to hear from you guys !
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks mate. Give it time. There's a quality over quantity style here.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I teach at a college in Indiana, and I MOST DEFINITELY teach weld symbols and blue print reading in my program. I am relatively new to this area, and have been teaching here for a bit over a year. MY Program (and it is MY Program - the other welding classes at this school have nothing like this) teaches SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW, oxy-fuel and plasma cutting, blue print reading (with a heavy dose of weld symbols), metal fabrication and layout, equipment set up and maintenance and in general, job professionalism. In my opinion, actual welding skill is only about a third of what it takes to be a multi-process, professional welder. Welding skills being a third; lay out, fabrication and fit up skills and knowing what the metal is going to do once you start to work is another third; and the final bit being able to act, think express yourself like a PROFESSIONAL.

I have been welding since about 1977 (or so). I have been teaching at colleges since 2009. I have visited a LOT of schools, talked to the instructors and checked out programs. There are some very good ones out there. There are some that are scary bad. I try to teach my students to be adaptable. I train to structural standards. I try to explain to the students what it is like being on a job in a production type environment, a custom fabrication shop or out in the field. We talk about what the expectations are. I demand professional behavior in my shop from my students. Little things like always wearing PPE, grinding their work station and sweeping the floor matter!

You have to ask yourself what you want out of a welding career. If you want to be a pipe liner, join a fitter local. They will give you the best training and many years of hands on work.

As for opening a welding shop ... you better have many years of multiple process welding (on the job experience) before you go down that road. You better have a real, real good idea of the amount of equipment needed, what sort of niche you want to occupy and what it takes to really run and operate a business.

Anyway, good luck. Let us know what happens with the fitter interview!

Boomer63 wrote:I teach at a college in Indiana, and I MOST DEFINITELY teach weld symbols and blue print reading in my program. I am relatively new to this area, and have been teaching here for a bit over a year. MY Program (and it is MY Program - the other welding classes at this school have nothing like this) teaches SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW, oxy-fuel and plasma cutting, blue print reading (with a heavy dose of weld symbols), metal fabrication and layout, equipment set up and maintenance and in general, job professionalism. In my opinion, actual welding skill is only about a third of what it takes to be a multi-process, professional welder. Welding skills being a third; lay out, fabrication and fit up skills and knowing what the metal is going to do once you start to work is another third; and the final bit being able to act, think express yourself like a PROFESSIONAL.

I have been welding since about 1977 (or so). I have been teaching at colleges since 2009. I have visited a LOT of schools, talked to the instructors and checked out programs. There are some very good ones out there. There are some that are scary bad. I try to teach my students to be adaptable. I train to structural standards. I try to explain to the students what it is like being on a job in a production type environment, a custom fabrication shop or out in the field. We talk about what the expectations are. I demand professional behavior in my shop from my students. Little things like always wearing PPE, grinding their work station and sweeping the floor matter!

You have to ask yourself what you want out of a welding career. If you want to be a pipe liner, join a fitter local. They will give you the best training and many years of hands on work.

As for opening a welding shop ... you better have many years of multiple process welding (on the job experience) before you go down that road. You better have a real, real good idea of the amount of equipment needed, what sort of niche you want to occupy and what it takes to really run and operate a business.

Anyway, good luck. Let us know what happens with the fitter interview!
Hey man do you have a contact number I can reach you at? I live in IN and am from South Bend I would like to talk more about your class with you and stuff contact me at idjmleader@gmail.com in the subject put "Schooling" I would be interested in your courses and things of that nature!!! Please reply to me directly or leave your contact info thank you very much for your reply!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

"It's a small world after all..."
Boomer63

Otto Nobedder wrote:"It's a small world after all..."

Hey Otto! It is a small world! I just sent a private email to this guy, and plan on calling him this afternoon.

You know what? I got into this teaching gig because I was too busted up to go back into the field. With the injuries I had, I figured out would be out for a year or two. But after doing it, I find that I really, really like it. I never expected that! Now, I really like that I only work about nine months per year and I don't have to poop in a little plastic house. I don't care if it is raining, cold, hot or whatever. But my biggest kick is seeing these (mostly) young men and women learn real skills and get jobs.

I miss the field and would love to go back and work in the steel mills or on high rise buildings. But I don't miss it that much!

Boomer63,

Here's another "small world" moment...

One (not currently active) member here, and three from the facebook forum Mick started (who follow Jody's videos religiously), now work beside me. We're a 14-man shop. Counting me, that's over 33% participation in my workplace!

I'm trying to get the FB guys to come over here, and the inactive member to participate.

Steve S
Boomer63

Hey Steve (otto!)

That kid did come and visit with me. I love to sign people up for my program, as it is new and I am growing it. But he wanted to go in different directions, so I sent him some place else. I gave him what I felt he needed most!

It is amazing how 'tight' this welding industry can be. Someone dropped a name on me yesterday, and I recognized the name, but as near as I can figure it was someone I worked with maybe 20 years ago somewhere far from here. From the description I got, I think it was the same guy ... humm ... still can't figure it out!

Anyway, with the level of guys in your shop on board here, I would imagine that the quality of work coming out of your place is very, very high! Keep up the good work!
Gary (Boomer63)

I would like to say I passes the Assessment test guys!!! I also did it with higher scores than needed. Now time to get that interview. And thanks boomer for your advice btw I was gonna stop by today but I thought you did not have class at the time I would have stopped by.
Boomer63

Stop by any time! You know where we are. Let me know what is going on!
    Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:53 am

Boomer63,
Read the entire thread and was happy to see such a high level of honesty and professionalism. I am looking for a school right now. I live in Northwest Indiana about 40 min outside Chi Town. I am very courious about your program.
"I am in competition with no one. I have no desire to play the game of being better than anyone. I am simply trying to be better than the person I was yesterday."

Boomer63 wrote:Hey Steve (otto!)

That kid did come and visit with me. I love to sign people up for my program, as it is new and I am growing it. But he wanted to go in different directions, so I sent him some place else. I gave him what I felt he needed most!

It is amazing how 'tight' this welding industry can be. Someone dropped a name on me yesterday, and I recognized the name, but as near as I can figure it was someone I worked with maybe 20 years ago somewhere far from here. From the description I got, I think it was the same guy ... humm ... still can't figure it out!

Anyway, with the level of guys in your shop on board here, I would imagine that the quality of work coming out of your place is very, very high! Keep up the good work!
Gary (Boomer63)
Thanks, Gary!

Due to the nature of our work, there are no "whip-cracker" supervisors... We have a strong "quality over quantity" theme here, which our new-hires (recent and current students) are thriving on. They are learning all the details school has no time to teach (with no one pushing them to hurry), and enjoying every minute. I never considered myself a teacher (though I'm willing to train), yet I find myself teaching every day, and it is a bit addictive, when I see the light come on. :idea:

Steve S
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

While I love the outcome of this thread, I do have one tidbit to add for those wanting to brush up on their symbols reading. Hobart has an online symbols reading course, work at your own pace deal that will cover the basics, and if memory serves me right it's $89. While I believe you'll get more from a traditional class, as an intro it's good.

Wes917 wrote:While I love the outcome of this thread, I do have one tidbit to add for those wanting to brush up on their symbols reading. Hobart has an online symbols reading course, work at your own pace deal that will cover the basics, and if memory serves me right it's $89. While I believe you'll get more from a traditional class, as an intro it's good.
That's not bad, for an intro. The symbols can seem quite complicated to the uninitiated.

Steve S