Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
stevejones
    Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 am

I completed my high school a few months back and was working at a coffee shop for last 2 months. I am not interested in this job and wants to be in a welding career just like my uncle is now. He is not interested in teaching me it, so I want to study it in some institutes or college. After a little research I found this institute named Weldtech Training, http://www.weldtechtraining.com/ which provides welding training and helps in getting certifications. I have minimal idea about such job oriented training institutions. So can anyone advise me if it is the best solution for my situation. Is there any alternatives like a University affiliated course?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Steve,

Any outfit accredited by the CWA and AWS, and a member of ASME, can't be too bad. My read on it says it's a career center, which saves you a bunch of "core classes" a community college or university would require to give you a certificate.

I'll see if I can get Jody involved. He's reviewed and accumulated reviews on many welder training programs.

Are you in or near Ontario? I noticed they have an "open house" Saturday.

Steve S
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Stevejones! You have asked a question for which there is no easy answer. If you want to be a welder, you need to get training, and that can come from several sources. I am going out on a limb here, but TO ME (!) there are three basic work environments that welders will find themselves employed in: Production, custom fabrication and field work. The specific skills for each field is going to be different. In addition, there are skills that you need as a welder that aren't actual welding. I teach that to a journeyman/professional level welder, actual welding skill is only about 25% (one quarter) of what a person needs. The other three quarters are basic metallurgy and lay out skills, which is understanding what the metal will do understanding what the metal will do; fabrication and blue print reading skills, which is being able to independently interpret and understand blue prints and build real life projects, and the last quarter is simply job professionalism; or knowing how to think, act and express yourself as a professional, journeyman level craftsman.

Let me put this like this:
25% - Actual welding skill
25% - Basic metallurgy and lay out skills, understanding what the metal will do understanding what the metal will do
25% - Fabrication and blue print reading skills; being able to independently interpret and understand blue prints and build real life projects
25% - Job Professionalism. Being able to think, act and express yourself as a professional, journeyman level craftsman.

People will disagree with me. Fine. This is just something that I made up. Real craftsman, professional journeymen are able to work independently without a lot of supervision.

I would suggest you figure out what types of environments you want to work in, then think about what kind of training you will need to achieve your goal. If you want to be a pipe liner out in the oil fields, join a good pipe fitter/steamfitter union. If you want the indoor plumbing and security of a factory environment, look at training at local community colleges.

Let us know how it goes for you and what you decide! Believe it or not, most of the guys out here really are interesting in finding out how it all worked out!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I can't argue with a thing Boomer said.

I won't put a percentage on what can't be taught, but there's great value in common sense, both for staying safe and for working efficiently. Working efficiently makes you money, gets you raises, gets you noticed.

Flexibility is very valuable, too. I know some folk who say, "I weld pipe, and that's ALL I do, or will do." Good for you, if that makes you happy, but variety is interesting.

With one company, we were a twelve-man crew, so I/we worked alternately as a structural fitter/welder, ironworker, rigger, Brodersun operator, pipefitter, pipe welder, duct fitter, duct welder, instrument fitter, industrial mechanic, and even forklift operator when required. Not only was this a great way to expand my experience, but that was one of my best-paid years working the field.

I use all those skills, and several more I've accumulated since on my present job, and I wouldn't trade it for anything short of a lottery jackpot.

Steve S
stevejones
    Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 am

Thanks everyone for the replies.. I talked to my uncle again. He told me that he won't be able to teach me, but If I get trained from somewhere, he may allow me to work with him for a few months. I guess that will help me with some experience. So, I decided to get the training and work for a few months with him. I hope it will help me. :D
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

@stevejones - I think you are making a good choice. As you are working with the uncle, ask questions about welding. He may work with a crew that has a diverse work history, which will give you some idea of the jobs that are out there. What you might want to think about is finding an area you like, and then going for jobs in that area. I have had so many, many different welding jobs, in so many different work environments. You will learn from any weld job that you have. It is all great experience and you need to start somewhere.

Keep us posted on how things are going, or what you decide to do!
Gary
    Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:56 am

Hi SteveJones!

I am new to this forum, and relatively new to welding but I have a thought that might help. Do you have a Licoln Tech near you? they are a world class school and can arrange 100% help with student loans. I also did a quick look in my area, I see most of the Community Colleges offer similar programs. What are your thoughts on something like that.

What I liked about them is most offer a certification at upon successful completion of the class. There appear to be several levels of cert you can achieve. I am not sure how much weight a certification carries in the industry, but it at least shows that you are dead serious about being a professional welder.