Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
danfinn
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi all,
This is only my second post, and if you've read my first post you'll know that I'm just getting in to welding. I'm a former sniper and overseas contractor from 2001 thru 2014, I work right now doing epoxy coatings and epoxy grouting and carpentry. I am almost 33. So I don't have translatable skills from my trigger pulling days, and I'm new to welding. I've only welded a small amount with my uncle; a retired welder. I am very serious about becoming a professional, and skilled, welder. Due to having a wife and daughter, and being over 30, I don't have time to pussyfoot around. I'm looking for a welding school that's flexible and above all, competent. I'm in South Jersey and have come across Elite welder training and testing. Can anyone tell me if this school is worth my time and effort. I've been through enough tactical schools and courses to know that not all training is created equal. I would like to know if this school can prepare me for a career to the point where potential employers will take me seriously. If I didn't have to support a family, I would look into Hobart Institute or one of the other long, in-depth programs. I work for my father's company, so I have an advantageous amount of work schedule flexibility, but I still need to put food on the table and pay the bills.

Shortened version: I'm new to welding, 33 yrs old, have a family that I need to support. I have no time to waste. Is the school Elite welder training and testing in South Jersey a good place to get solid training for a career in welding?

Thanks to anyone who knows about this school.
Regards,
Dan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey, Dan,

For "translatable skills", you could consider MIG... There's a trigger, and your motto could be, "One shot, one fill." :lol:

Seriously, though, I know what you mean about "not created equal". This is quite true in welding programs, as I've read some real horror stories.

There are a couple of instructors on here who may be familiar with Elite. I don't recall it being mentioned (but my mind is an annoyingly cluttered place), so I don't know if we have any previous students here. I'll follow this post, and if no one can help, I'll check with some other sources and see if I can find a reliable review or two.

I'll also copy the topic to "shop talk", as not everyone scrolls down this far.

Steve S
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

Hi Dan.
Welcome to the forum.

I was in your shoes last August. Looking to change skills and wanting to do it right. I too, am a very practical person.
If it helps, this is how I found the right school and instructor:
1. Find out what kind of certs, if any, you will be earning when you finish the course.
2. Is the instructor certified? (AWS, ASME, CWI, CWE, etc.)
3. What credentials does the school carry? (Mainly for financial aid.)
4. If you live in the area of the school, do you plan on moving else where for work? (That is more of a personal decision for you and your family.) Some employers won't recognize some schools for what ever reason they have.

Not all big schools that are outfitted with the best equipment have the best instruction. The course I'm taking covers all processes and offer as many certs as I can handle (that will be decided between the instructor and myself.) My instructor is a retired welder, CWI and certified AWS instructor. He has the field experience to back up he lessons.

I went to the school and sat in, with the instructors permission, a couple of classes before I started (or paid for the course). I had to make sure.
I had visited another school that had a welding program, but that only proved to me that I should go to the one I'm in now. No certs upon completion, uncertified instructors, cheap equipment and lack of shop safety.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your service as well.
Good luck.
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1