Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
FitNPipe
    Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Like the title says. I just had my first completion meeting for my cap and gown, ring sizing, and alumni association membership for my apprenticeship. I walk across the stage in February for completing my pipefitting apprenticeship at Newport News Shipbuilding. Its been a long 4 years, I have met a lot of people, learned to coordinate with other trades to get work done in confined spaces, but I finished it.

The Apprentice School in Newport News Virginia is a fantastic place to start right out of high school or as a 40 year old looking for a new career in any number of trades. Welding, shipwrights, electricians, foundry workers, and pipefitters just to name a few.

The school offers apprentices with the drive optional advanced programs for salaried positions and pride themselves in growing leaders for the company.

Through these 4 years I've seen all outdoor work in the weather, indoor work on large modules, and small detail work in shops. All of this culminating in the world's most powerful aircraft carriers and submarines. It is very rewarding and I am proud to call myself a graduate.

If you want information to apply PM me and I will send you any extra information you are looking for.

www.as.edu
AHP 200x
Frustration
Grinder, not a welder.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Congratulations!

Where do anticipate going from here? Working as a journeyman right there? Taking the advanced programs? Using your journeyman ticket to explore other avenues?

Steve S
FitNPipe

I'm currently running a crew of fitters now. I'll probably stay right there in the shipyard and see where it takes me to be honest. I'll make the decision to apply for a supervisory position or stay with my tools for awhile when the next ship comes in.
AHP 200x
Frustration
Grinder, not a welder.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Cool!

Options are nice things to have.

Steve S
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Congratulations! Salutations! Remember, no one GAVE you that world-class skill that you learned, you EARNED it! If you are young and still single; travel! You will never have the opportunity again.

Again, can not stress what an achievement you have under your belt! I am always so, so proud of my students who make it through the program!
Gary
FitNPipe

Thanks Gary for the encouraging words. I've been supervising for some weeks now to finish some work after retirements and things. I must say, it is a different challenge and the ability to basically temp run a crew for a long period of time is giving me the opportunity to decide if my tools are my calling or something else.
AHP 200x
Frustration
Grinder, not a welder.
rebelwelder
    Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi,
I am currently in welding school. I would like some information on how to apply for the apprenticeship program. I would appreciate any help that you can offer.