Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
UDIBOY
    Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Hello All,
I am new to this Forum. Thanks to Jody for this platform.
I am an international petroleum college graduate . I want to go into offshore vessel welding and co.
I will really appreciate your inputs in general about this decision and recommendations for schools in US that has good welding programs with certifications. I mean a not so expensive school. I can run the program as far as a year.
Also, I am 2 7 years old.i will like to have a cswip 3.0
Any suggestions??
Thank you.
I was trying to contact RocketSurgeon to ask him of the 1500$ program. That's a great deal!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, UDIBOY,

The $1500 program Rocketsurgeon attended was an AWS course primarily for structural welding, not pressure vessels, but the certification would still get you a good shot at an offshore job (there is a lot of structural work in maintaining and modifying drilling and production rigs).

Most offshore work will require certifications unrelated to welding. Most are safety-related. Water survival training, for example.

We have several welders who've worked offshore, so you may get better answers soon.

Steve S
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

Sorry that it's been forever since I've checked in here.

Yes, Otto is correct that the course I'm taking is an AWS certification course. It is only structural, BUT if there is time (you move along the curriculum at your own pace), you are allowed to learn pipe and other welding that you may want to learn and if the school can accommodate.

The school is in south east Louisiana. Not far from any petroleum company office or site.
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1