Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
d.smith
    Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:14 am

Hey, my name is Dave, i'm 23 and in a little bit of a bind I guess.

So, back in 2012 I was going to a community college that originally started off as a trade school and had a really good repuation and job placement program, I was in the integrated manufacturing / welding program and after I finished my first year of welding they stopped doing the program... so i was left for a while with no welding while i decided to just look for a job willing to take me in as a welder, this past janurary of 2015 I was finally hired on as a welder for a company that coats jet engine parts. so they use a lot of furnaces and stuff like that etc etc...

Anyways, since I was in college I was living on my own and now have a house, a full time job because obviously we all have bills that need to be paid. and now we get to my "situation" I seriously want to further my career in welding and have been reading these forums and people have been saying that school is seriously a good thing to have as a welder. I want to have more reasons for people to want to employ me and certificates and so forth but there is no where near me that does programs during the night time (after I get out of work).

So i guess I am just seeing if anyone has a path that might work well for me or something that I can try to see if I can make work. I definitely want to get better and I want to get into production, pipe welding, anything I can learn. I would eventually want to start my own business fabricating motorcycle frames and car parts etc.

any input will be greatly appreciated.

-Dave
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Dave
How far are you from Bath? The shipyards love to hire guys with low to medium experience levels and teach them their way.
Decent pay, good bennies and you get to learn a lot. And you are home every night. No traveling is worth something.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

There are a lot of apprenticeship programs out there. If your serious about pipe look up the UA local in your area. There is a real demand for people willing to weld. You get training that is recognized and some apprenticeships offer credit for past experience.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
d.smith
    Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:14 am

Im about 45 minutes away from Bath, im 35 minutes away from work right now, and then an hour away from the portsmouth shipyard