Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
mdevers49
    Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:51 am

I thought I would pass this along. I'm in Alabama and wanted to take a class at the local trade school in milling. I discovered that I was eligible under a senior waiver to take any classes I signed up for free so now I'm taking tool and die and welding classes with no tuition. Maybe your state has something similar. I think the age cutoff was 60. What a deal and loving what I'm learning
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Good info mdevers49 and welcome to the site! I'm going to have to check into that here.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Good on ya, MDevers! Never stop learning.

I just checked into it: our community college system here has the same deal: free tuition if you audit the course, rather than take it for college credit. It's a number of years until I'd qualify but good info to keep in my back pocket.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That's sweet! I'm going to have to look in to that in LA. I'm still years away, but I have friends who would take advantage of it in a heartbeat, and when the time comes, so would I. I don't intend to quit learning until I'm fertilizing the daisies.

Steve S
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hi there! I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I am just getting back into the forum and have some thoughts on this subject!

I do teach welding/metal fabrication at a community college. To be brutally honest, guys in their 40's and up have a difficult time learning to weld, unless they have some previous experience. Now obviously, this is not going to apply to everyone. But, if the person has no experience in welding, it turns out that learning to weld can be very, very difficult. Guys with some construction background, or who have a lot of natural mechanical ability will do well.

Not trying to discourage anybody, I am just passing on observations. Just sayin'!!
Gary
gnuuser
    Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:10 pm

learning at any age is a benefit you get what you put into it.
many times younger people tend to get bored too easily
I teach welding and electrical ( and have taught my fiance )
she's deaf so she cant hear but she is very thorough and pays attention.
doesnt care for welding that much but she's a good apprentice electrician. :mrgreen:
shooting the $#!t is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (more splatter);)