Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
camardelle
    Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:48 am

I really need some direct instruction. I took a stick welding course at the community college at an exhibit ant cost. I really believe I could have spent much less looking for some private instruction. I've cross posted this elsewhere trying to explore every possibility I can.

Would anyone in or near the north side of Houston be willing to spend a couple hours with me showing me your TIG skills? I've been beating my Diversion 165 up but I'm not making any progress.

I really felt like I could learn this on my own but I work really well with some initial instruction. I've watched gigs of video from Jody and others but I think I could use something more substantial.

I'm sure this is weird and maybe a first on the forum. I'm willing to pay for your time. Feel free to pm me with questions or comments. Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I get what you're looking for: sometimes a demonstration can make the videos come together. I'm self-taught by way of Jody's videos, but i'm sure i self-taught myself some bad habits, just out of ignorance.

Any way your instructor from the community college could give you those pointers? Or if there"s a TIG class, sit in on a class?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
camardelle
    Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:48 am

Thanks for the PM Artie.

I may go speak to my former instructor about it but I think his area of expertise is mainly stick and mig.

I wonder if opening it up to somewhere that is a day drive for me would help. Maybe Austin, Dallas, or anywhere in Houston?
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Another alternative is to let us guide you through it. You've seen enough videos to know what your hand motions are supposed to look like; if we set you up with the right machine settings, and you start out with a chunk of steel ground down to bright and shiny and torch-only-no-filler, I bet we could make it happen.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

A big part of the 'exorbitant cost' comes from consumables and materials. Learning anything involves paying your dues, and knowledge does usually not come free of charge. Someone in an apprenticeship is getting 'free' training, but money is taken out of every members check to pay the cost of the apprenticeship program. Also, the apprentice is working at a lower salary than journeymen for a few years until they master the craft.

When I had my own shop, I generally didn't have the time or material to show someone how to weld. I have to make $$$$ and doing an independent teaching wasn't going to pay off for me. What I did have, in one instance, was a two brothers walk in and wanting to trade labor for instruction. These kids turned out to be great workers, and I employed them right up until the time I closed up my business.

The other suggestions about doing some welds, posting really good pictures out here on the forum, and getting input from the guys is a great idea. But remember, practice and arc time is what is going to make you a better welder; there is just no getting around that fact!
Gary