Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I was really looking forward to it too. I had one week of formal training way back in 1986 and none since. I've been a hobbyist mig welder since and am now trying to learn tig and stick. I can't find any other adult ed program in my area. The registrar said they'd try again in the fall, l don't want to wait 6 months. I'm in Dutchess County NY if anyone wants a student.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

That's disappointing. Your post says it's "adult ed", maybe that's why. Is there a community college course, maybe?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
sedanman

I am 48 and have a fulltime job. I need nights or weekends, preferably nights. I don't want to go weld on a pipeline. I just want to better myself.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The sad reality here is that there is no marketing for such a course. The school will put it in their syllabus, but never once publish a poster or take advantage of the local NPR station. If you're not looking, you won't know it exists.

Steve S
sedanman

If you don't know exactly what you want and how to use it, most local welding supply stores will give you a cold shoulder and short answers. So you seek training and can't find any at the hobbyist level. I'm too old to go work as a journeman's helper sweeping the shop floor for minumun wage and the occasional welding lesson.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Here's an outside-the-box idea: call the Boy Scouts.

No, really. You might call a local merit badge counselor near you and tell him you're looking for feedback / advice / troubleshooting. He may be a pro, or may be a hobbyist, but likely will have some spin on the ball. Offer to provide adult beverages and see what he says.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

The AWS website lists lots of classes and schools, everywhere. Even if the local school doesn't have the schedule you need, you might be able to talk to the instructor about after hours or side lessons.

You might be able to contact a local high school that has a shop class that teaches welding and talk to the instructor about you dilemma.
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
sedanman

I got a call from BOCES last week. They have had additioanl inquiries and have rescheduled the class to begin May 16th. I am very happy and looking forward to class. Then I want tig training.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

Now welding but, I wanted to take an automobile diesel class which had nowhere near enough students to continue. I asked the instructor if I could take a different class "title" and do the class I actually wanted. Turned out there was one class which meeded one more student to continue. The instructor agreed instantly, good for everyone.

-c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!

sedanman wrote:I got a call from BOCES last week. They have had additioanl inquiries and have rescheduled the class to begin May 16th. I am very happy and looking forward to class. Then I want tig training.
That's awesome! Sounds like you have good game plan as well.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
sedanman

First class was Monday. Instructor is a good welder but not a good teacher. Brief safety talk, some oxy-acetalene instruction, we cut some coupons and after a very short arc strike demo we were set loose in a booth. I was hoping for a little direct observation and correction. Tonite, I'm going to drag a little more info out the instructor. I'll also post a picture of my pad of beads. The first session we were running 1/8 7014 on a/c on 3/8 plate. Machines are Idealarc A/C,D/C 250's, l just got one of these off Craigslist for $100.

That was how my class started. Safety lecture>O/A torch instruction (so you can cut your own coupons)> brief machine introduction>start welding.

It isn't a bad way to teach a craft that is "hands on". As long as the instructor can weld and knows how to pass a weld test (and having a CWI cert helps), they should pass that on to you in the booth. If you feel you need more oversight, don't hesitate to speak up. I was a bit lost and nervous my first few nights, but I made sure to get his input as I progressed. As much as I could without being an interruption to the other students.

Hopefully, your instructor should catch on your your speed of learning and help you at your pace and not to the curriculum pace.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
sedanman

There are 5 students. If l were the instructor, l would have stopped by each booth and observed each student. We were told there would be no classroom time at all. I understand that seat time is important but a little theory goes a long way.

Is he not checking in with each of you at all? :shock:
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Where in NY are you? I am by far not the best stick welder, but I would be happy to have you over and watch you burn rods for a couple of hours and compare notes. I am in CT near waterbury.
Multimatic 255
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

And if you want we could also do some TIG...same story. I am not the best, but I have the gear and we could compare notes.
Multimatic 255
sedanman

RocketSurgeon, Not once.
Louie1961, I'm in Pawling NY. , southeast corner of Dutchess County. I have a small workshop in Beacon NY too. P.M. me, I'm interested
sedanman

Here's a pad of beads l did last night. I have covered 3 coupons this size both sides in 2 sessions. I am making use of seat time. Most of these were 7014 then l took the plunge and tried some 7018, a little more difficult to initiate an arc but I'll get it . I need to work on filling the crater at the end of my beads and l know they're not stacked perfectly but here for your viewing pleasure..........
Attachments
20160519_072344.jpg
20160519_072344.jpg (61.31 KiB) Viewed 9021 times
sedanman

I tried switching direction, didn't work well so l stopped. I will spens a lot of time working with my non dominant hand next time as this is something that must be done. The beads appear to switch direction on this pad because I started in the center of a warped plate to see if l could pull it flat, worked quite well. There are also tie-ins about every third bead, I'm burning every rod down to about 1 1/2 inch. Other students are dropping rods that aren't long enough to make a full pass. I figure tie-ins are part of the process so I better practice them

sedanman wrote:I tried switching direction, didn't work well so l stopped. I will spens a lot of time working with my non dominant hand next time as this is something that must be done. The beads appear to switch direction on this pad because I started in the center of a warped plate to see if l could pull it flat, worked quite well. There are also tie-ins about every third bead, I'm burning every rod down to about 1 1/2 inch. Other students are dropping rods that aren't long enough to make a full pass. I figure tie-ins are part of the process so I better practice them
Looking real good! Don't worry about trying to do everything the first week. One step at a time.

When you end the bead and still have plenty of rod left (especially 7018), take the rod out of the stinger and tap the end to remove the excess flux. It helps with restart of the rod and you are less likely to have scorch marks on the work.

(Honestly, your first pad looks better than my first.) :lol:
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
sedanman

My 2nd horizontal t joint.
Attachments
20160526_141122.jpg
20160526_141122.jpg (44 KiB) Viewed 9090 times

Looking good! Keep at it! :D
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Coming along nicely!

Steve S
sedanman

Thank you both. I had a chat with the instructor and he stepped up his game.
sedanman

Last night was my first time using 6010.
Attachments
20160602_070611.jpg
20160602_070611.jpg (65.45 KiB) Viewed 9055 times