It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:45 am Advanced search

SMAW class cancelled due to low registration.

Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.

SMAW class cancelled due to low registration.

Postby sedanman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:37 pm

I was really looking forward to it too. I had one week of formal training way back in 1986 and none since. I've been a hobbyist mig welder since and am now trying to learn tig and stick. I can't find any other adult ed program in my area. The registrar said they'd try again in the fall, l don't want to wait 6 months. I'm in Dutchess County NY if anyone wants a student.
sedanman
Ace

Re: SMAW class cancelled due to low registration.

Postby Artie F. Emm » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:42 pm

That's disappointing. Your post says it's "adult ed", maybe that's why. Is there a community college course, maybe?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
Weldmonger

Postby sedanman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:52 pm

I am 48 and have a fulltime job. I need nights or weekends, preferably nights. I don't want to go weld on a pipeline. I just want to better myself.
sedanman
Ace

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:38 pm

The sad reality here is that there is no marketing for such a course. The school will put it in their syllabus, but never once publish a poster or take advantage of the local NPR station. If you're not looking, you won't know it exists.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby sedanman » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:08 am

If you don't know exactly what you want and how to use it, most local welding supply stores will give you a cold shoulder and short answers. So you seek training and can't find any at the hobbyist level. I'm too old to go work as a journeman's helper sweeping the shop floor for minumun wage and the occasional welding lesson.
sedanman
Ace

Postby Artie F. Emm » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:25 am

Here's an outside-the-box idea: call the Boy Scouts.

No, really. You might call a local merit badge counselor near you and tell him you're looking for feedback / advice / troubleshooting. He may be a pro, or may be a hobbyist, but likely will have some spin on the ball. Offer to provide adult beverages and see what he says.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
Weldmonger

Postby RocketSurgeon » Mon May 09, 2016 7:34 am

The AWS website lists lots of classes and schools, everywhere. Even if the local school doesn't have the schedule you need, you might be able to talk to the instructor about after hours or side lessons.

You might be able to contact a local high school that has a shop class that teaches welding and talk to the instructor about you dilemma.
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
RocketSurgeon
Guide

Postby sedanman » Mon May 09, 2016 8:21 am

I got a call from BOCES last week. They have had additioanl inquiries and have rescheduled the class to begin May 16th. I am very happy and looking forward to class. Then I want tig training.
sedanman
Ace

Postby cornmuse » Mon May 09, 2016 10:15 am

Now welding but, I wanted to take an automobile diesel class which had nowhere near enough students to continue. I asked the instructor if I could take a different class "title" and do the class I actually wanted. Turned out there was one class which meeded one more student to continue. The instructor agreed instantly, good for everyone.

-c-

Apò toû hēlíou metástēthi
cornmuse
Workhorse

Postby RocketSurgeon » Mon May 09, 2016 10:16 am

sedanman wrote:I got a call from BOCES last week. They have had additioanl inquiries and have rescheduled the class to begin May 16th. I am very happy and looking forward to class. Then I want tig training.

That's awesome! Sounds like you have good game plan as well.
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
RocketSurgeon
Guide

Next

Return to Education Opportunities