Books, articles, websites and other sources of information.
mechanic416
    Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Yea, so that's why I have backup's.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

It’s shocking to think someone has a web site in 2018 without a backup.
True, but in the age of cloud, why even have a server anymore? Put it all up in the cloud, get 99.99 server availability and 99.99999 data durability, for much less than the cost of buying a server or traditional hosting. it is super easy and dead simple.
Multimatic 255
jwmelvin
    Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:48 pm

Louie1961 wrote:True, but in the age of cloud, why even have a server anymore? Put it all up in the cloud, get 99.99 server availability and 99.99999 data durability, for much less than the cost of buying a server or traditional hosting. it is super easy and dead simple.
One phrase I like is "There is no cloud, it's just someone else's computer."

For sure it makes sense for web sites to be hosted by a service provider, not the content provider, in most cases. But what service provider doesn't maintain geographically disperse backups? Or perhaps the issue is that the content provider didn't bother checking how the the service provider's backups worked.

But you seem to be distinguishing "traditional hosting" from "the cloud." I'm not sure that's a valid distinction. Traditional hosting is the cloud and should include backups. But it may require that the content provider manually implement backups to some degree. I guess WW just chose a bad cloud (or ran it's own servers in an incompetent manner).

But you seem to be distinguishing "traditional hosting" from "the cloud." I'm not sure that's a valid distinction
Actually it is a valid distinction. I work for the world largest cloud provider. The way we engineer for durability across multiple availability zones, the self healing of servers, and the autoscaling really make it much more than just somebody else's computer. We could lose entire data centers and your web site won't ever go down. The way our cloud is built is actually quite amazing.
Multimatic 255

Traditional hosting is the cloud and should include backups.
We don't do backups in the traditional sense (tapes, and what not). We keep multiple copies of your data in object stores across multiple geographic regions. Recovery can be instant, near instant or somewhat delayed, depending on the class of object store you want to pay for. But our object store pricing is about half the cost of a traditional backup.
Multimatic 255
jwmelvin
    Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:48 pm

@Louie1961 I appreciate your points. I do agree that “backup” takes many forms and duplication is a valid backup scheme when geographically diverse.

I agree that “cloud” implies some degree of sophistication more than just a “Web host.” I maintain that there is a huge range of what people call a “cloud” service. While Amazon may have excellent practices in this regard (as does I believe BackBlaze, etc.) I would be surprised if everyone is as competent. Are there any standards for what can be called a “cloud” service?

The “someone else’s computer” was tongue-in-cheek.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Zap went snowmobiling, and forgot to pay the light bill.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Warrenh wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:
mechanic416 wrote:That's not nice Dave, you want to get Livingstone all upset :lol:
Haha! :D
I spent a week twisting his tail. It became like a sport. Livingstone I mean. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I had some fun with that too. :lol:
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Bill Beauregard wrote:Zap went snowmobiling, and forgot to pay the light bill.
Maybe he got a new Zapper...a Kim Dong Too Short model 3 and leveled the place. The first couple days the outage site showed a red dot over my house so I was thinking I was a Zapee

Maybe he got a new Zapper...a Kim Dong Too Short model 3
Zap welding with anything but old American iron would scare me...kind of like invasion of the body snatchers...what pod did you hatch out of??!! LOL
Multimatic 255

Well, they now have a pardon our dust page up... :)

Our sites are currently under maintenance.
Please try back later.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Penton
Richard
Website
    Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:15 pm

That's better news than the complete black-out. I've seen it happen before and in one case the had to start over from scratch.
Ernie F.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

[never mind]
Last edited by aland on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Just like life! Loose it all. Start over and make something new.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

** update **
I've been told progress is being made on the website issues :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:** update **
I could have built a building faster.
Actually, I have :roll:

Antorcha wrote:
Pretty much everyone has, who cares.

I'll be sure to pass along that their computer work is slower than putting up a building... Wait, no i won't since they have nothing to do with each other...
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Antorcha wrote:
Pretty much everyone has, who cares.

I'll be sure to pass along that their computer work is slower than putting up a building... Wait, no i won't since they have nothing to do with each other...
Hit a raw nerve did he?

Bill Beauregard wrote:
Hit a raw nerve did he?
Not really, just don't like him :D
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
aland

[never mind]
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Perhaps it was someone’s way of saying “ take this job and shove it”.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
aland

[never mind]

Even you must realize that when you're going on 2 weeks, it is obviously not the highest priority. Any half ass technician could rebuild that server in an afternoon. I don't know the company but somewhere it was stated they had 6 or 7 major sites go down they were responsible for.
Is there any evidence they brought up their other websites before weldingweb? And yes bringing up a webserver could be a quick task. But reconstituting data might not be. And you are assuming the issue is technical and not financial. I dont think you know as much about hosting as you think you do.
Multimatic 255
aland

[never mind]
Last edited by aland on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aland wrote:
Dave,

Even you must realize that when you're going on 2 weeks, it is obviously not the highest priority. Any half ass technician could rebuild that server in an afternoon. I don't know the company but somewhere it was stated they had 6 or 7 major sites go down they were responsible for.

This tells us that those other sites were much more important than WeldingWeb. If you're loosing revenue, the bean counters will be even less happy...I'm pretty sure they will get around to it when they can, it's not as if nobody is letting them know that people are waiting patiently for WeldingWeb to come back up.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes...somebody has been in the fire for going on 2 weeks...and that is no fun...my condolences to whoever that may be... :cry:

Alan
I actually have no idea how long it takes, but I wish they would finish because there's a lot of excellent information on that website. :)

But, for all I know it's been sold and some new owner is deciding what to do with it :?:
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc