Books, articles, websites and other sources of information.
cgorrell
    Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:31 pm

I have just been assigned the task of maintaining our welding equipment. Out TIG Welders are Miller Dynasty 350's and they are not under warranty. Upon researching, it was noted to use Low Conductivity Coolant but the cost will be excessive in the eyes of our owners. Is there anything else comparable that can be substituted with no ill effects?

Thank You in advance
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

You can use distilled water just fine. Keep it in the dark so it doesn't grow algae and/or put in an anti algae agent. Flush the system a couple of times a year or if the water discolors.
Multimatic 255
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

cgorrell wrote:Upon researching, it was noted to use Low Conductivity Coolant but the cost will be excessive in the eyes of our owners.
Remind them a few gallons of proper coolant may well avoid the expense of a few new Dynasty 400s. Do that math for them and see which they’d like to go. :roll:
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Whatever you do, just present the money-spenders (owners) the options, and let them decide. Last thing you want them to tell you is "well you told us this, now we have non-working tig coolers, so it's your fault....".
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

We use de ionised water in our older machines (no new machines, so I can't comment) the de ionised is the low conductivity, or so I thought. We don't have to worry about anti freeze where I am.

Oscar wrote:Whatever you do, just present the money-spenders (owners) the options, and let them decide. Last thing you want them to tell you is "well you told us this, now we have non-working tig coolers, so it's your fault....".
This!
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Be careful if you use RO water. It has no or very low conducivity depending on the filter setup. But it will absorb metal from whatever it can until it’s neutral. Not a big problem with the small quantity you will be using in a cooler. But it will become conductive over time.
I have more questions than answers

Josh