Books, articles, websites and other sources of information.
beaverskinner
    Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:05 pm

I posted this and I think it went in member information anyway I am looking for some plasma cutter software. Something that does not take a college course to understand the terminology. I have looked at Mach3 and it just has a lot of bells and whistles I do not need.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Check out http://www.flashcutcnc.com , they used to provide controllers and software for Torchmate....now they offer controllers, software and Torch height control for upgrading plasma cnc machines. Not Mach based, was designed for plasma cutting so it appears pretty intuitive.

Jim Colt
Last edited by jimcolt on Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMSRacing
    Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm

I am interested in Mach3 alternative as well. I don't mind it now that I have spent a year using it on three machines, but it can be a bit overwhelming to unpack by your self as a first package. I'm always looking for ways to make our machines more accessible to members. Let me know what you think if try out flashcut.

Ps. I could not get the link to work.
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

I fixed the link.....it is www.flashcutcnc.com .

Jim Colt
CMSRacing
    Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm

I like the idea of having CAD, CAM, POST and Controller all in one package basically. All too often I find something at the CAM stage that needs to be fixed back in CAD. The windows stayed pretty clean as well. I like a busy screen cause I want to know what is going on with everything at a glance. In the beginning though, this is just confusing. All three of their screens looked nice and clean, and not like they were made in the 70's like Mach.

The little video that shows the bitmap to vector seems good as well. They went with a pretty easy picture, but the outcome looked good. I think I may give them a call.
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Like everything it is all preference really. I use CandCNC electronics on my 5x10 table with Sheetcam as my CAM and Mach as the controller for the table itself. Mach can be intimidating until you get all the bells and whistles set but is a piece of cake then. Mach is the generally preferred controller for smaller outfits and self built machines like mine and is one of the reasons I built my own. Just did not want to be tied to a closed architecture control system that tied me to one company's apron strings. JMHO ;) I've never found a bitmap to vector conversion program that lived up to the hype they tell you.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.