Books, articles, websites and other sources of information.
justbill
    Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Didn't see this posted, sorry if this has been mentioned. At both the Play Store and iTunes you can download an app from Miller called Weldsettings. Once installed the first page has the option to pick from MIG (solid wire), MIG (Flux core), Stick and TiG. You pick one of these applications and then you can enter in the Material you will be welding, how thick and type and then it will give you suggested setting to use. Very nice for new welders or for those of us that might not get the chance to get out to the shop for extended periods of time. I use the app for my android phone and it works very well, can't confirm on the apple version. Hope this might help someone.
Regards, Bill
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Justbill.

Do you have a link for us?

Alexa
justbill

If you have an Andriod phone you can go to the "Play" store and if you have a iphone you can go to itunes with your phone. Search for Weldsettings and you can then download/install the app.
justbill

Thanks for the links WS! When it comes to some of this stuff I just give up and ask my 21 year old son for help. The harder I try to keep up the faster things seem to change!
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

I have tried some of these settings: sometimes they lie outside my welder's capacity (I have a Lincoln 180C) and I weld flux core .09mm (.035") wire. If I follow my Lincoln chart, I can weld well. If I follow my "initial learning", I do well enough. Sometimes the Miller settings prescribe amps I cannot provide. But I can easily weld the thickness of mild steel in question.

Have people tested these settings on technology other than Miller's?
coldman
  • coldman

Hi, I have looked at this Miller app in the past but find recommended amp settings (TIG) way above what I would weld at. I think the information you get out is only as good the information you feed in. For example if doing a single vee butt weld on 1/4" plate or pipe, the metal thickness at the root is much less than 1/4" so the app settings for 1/4" parent metal would fry your root pass. I'm not sure what the right input information to use for the Miller app is so I abandoned it. Since then I have gained more experience with a range of thicknesses so amp info is in my head along with all the other nuts and bolts I have rattling around in there. Don't need no app anymore.
The way I see it, everybody and every power source welds a bit different. The best thing is to light up on a piece of scrap to find your own sweet spot and then write it down in a note book for next time.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I tried them with a Lincoln PowerMig 256 and I found the settings to be a little hot. I found myself speeding up just to keep from burning through. I got tired of fighting with it and turned it back down to what the Lincoln chart said and it did fine the rest of the day. I haven't tried it with a Miller so who knows it may be spot on for Miller machines.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt