Books, articles, websites and other sources of information.
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Hey, everyone. You've all probably read my pleas for resources and reference guides. I found a couple more that I thought I would share regarding distortion from weld heat (man, that stuff sucks).

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/su ... etail.aspx

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/ ... ength.html

Take a look!
Nate
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm late to my computer after a long day, but I'll certainly have a look tomorrow.

Distortion (draw) in stainless pipe welds is something I'd like to control better. I've developed an instinct when fitting stainless pipe for TIG (usually sch. 10), and compensate in the fit. A 45 or 90* ell will always draw more on the inside, so when I fit a 90, I usually tack it at 94*, or on a 45, tack it at 47*, so when it draws, it lands close to where I want it.

I still sometimes have to use a dry-wash to draw one side of the pipe or another, as the spools are often too short for flex in the pipe to allow for a less than precise fit, and that annoys me.

Thanks,

Steve S
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Actually, I'll copy your post to the "welding information" sub-forum, which is specific to information like this, and has less traffic of other kinds so it won't get buried.

Steve S
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Actually, I'll copy your post to the "welding information" sub-forum, which is specific to information like this, and has less traffic of other kinds so it won't get buried.

Steve S

Thanks, this is something that's useful for everyone. Trying to save some folks some search time.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press