General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JHenze646
    Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:44 pm

I would like to get some instruction for welding which is a hobby for me.
I have talked to a few local schools and makerspaces and the basic offerings for non-career classes is more supevised practice than anything else. I am not sure what I should be looking for or what questions I should be asking. I would like to learn about how to select materials, designing joints, layout of projects, etc.
I know I could definitely benefit from the supervised practice but classes are expensive in my area right now(PGH) and I want to ensure I spend the money on what I really want to learn.
What kind of instruction should I be asking for? As this is a hobby, is there anything thing that I should avoid?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll copy this topic to "General Shop Talk". It gets more views than the last item on the page...

Steve
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Go out to CCAC and talk to Cody. :D
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

What Pete says- you could get into a community college entry level course on stick welding and get the fundamentals: shop safety, PPE, electricity, reading the puddle. Then take it from there, and maybe the supervised practice will be just what you need.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

A quick walk through an implement dealer or a farm auction could be one way you might study joint layout. Look closely at things like heavy equipment. They are engineered and tested, and abused, so paying attention to how the part is used or what direction it is stressed from will reveal a lot about why they chose to weld where they did, or position parts in there given configuration.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Here's the course catalog from your local community college, the welding courses start on page 221 and they look extensive. Tuition is $110/hr, so it will be hard to find better/cheaper opportunities. You mention "...how to select materials, designing joints, layout of projects, etc." All those things are addressed at some level in welding classes, but I doubt you'll find a single class dedicated to those things. You might want to look at their offerings in manufacturing technology, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering for more focused studies in those areas.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
JHenze646

PeteM wrote:Go out to CCAC and talk to Cody. :D
Which campus?
Thank you btw.
JHenze646

MarkL wrote:Here's the course catalog from your local community college, the welding courses start on page 221 and they look extensive. Tuition is $110/hr, so it will be hard to find better/cheaper opportunities. You mention "...how to select materials, designing joints, layout of projects, etc." All those things are addressed at some level in welding classes, but I doubt you'll find a single class dedicated to those things. You might want to look at their offerings in manufacturing technology, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering for more focused studies in those areas.
Thank you. I will contact them again.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

JHenze646 wrote:
PeteM wrote:Go out to CCAC and talk to Cody. :D
Which campus?
Thank you btw.
The west campus out in Robinson.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/CCAC' ... 80.1932602

I went there after a layoff in '11-'12 for all of the certificate courses and had a great time. The guys out there are really good on top of having the skills. Once you connect with them you can pop in with questions and follow up skill stuff as needed too.