General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:41 am

I've been looking to get a die grinder. I have air powered die grinders but the noise is a little too much sometimes (you know what I mean). Anyway, been looking at several models and I gotta say.. they seem a little pricey for what they are. I can get a hand held variable speed trim router for under $100. But most reputable companies want twice that for a die grinder. Am I missing something here? Aren't we talking about a motor spinning a 1/8 or 1/4" collet in both cases? What has been your experience? recommendations? input? I can handle the cost.. without bitching.. just don't see something...
Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

I don't have the answer but have been looking myself and here's what I found.

Dewalt has one for $125 but it's only 4.2 amp and NOT variable speed

Metabo has a 6.4 amp and is variable speed at $189

Makita has 6.6 amp and is variable speed at $218. This model has SJS technology which helps prevent motor and gear damage

Makita has another model GD0800C for $10 more, right now I'm not sure what the difference is

let me know if you've seen any others that are variable speed not in my list.
Richard
Website
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

My $0.02 FWIW, electric doesn't necessarily mean quieter.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have 2 of the Dewalt’s. I’ve had the Milwaukee. But I like the Dewalt better because it’s lighter. I use carbide burrs sometimes and flapper wheels.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I've got air and electric, but the electric is a cheap Harbor freight that I bought because I didn't have air where I needed to use it. It did the job but not something I'd want to use very often. They're both so loud once you start grinding I can't tell the difference. If you're just spinning the motor I agree the air is like a dentist's drill on steroids.
As far as price difference between router and grinder, maybe it's the shape of the motor. Grinders are long and thin, routers are shorter and fat. Or maybe it's just because they sell a lot more routers.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I guess sales volume & ability to charge what they want if they know you have no choice is the reason they're so expensive -they should be cheaper than a regular angle grinder as there is no gearbox to make - just a motor in a couple of bearings - tungsten grinders are the same - rip off - I had a small trim router that had a removable base that I used as a die grinder years back - it was not a good shape to hold & would have been easy to have an accident with & the bearings / motor did not stand up to use on metal well - I only need an electric one occasionally when out some place without air & bought a cheap Evolution one - it's nothing special but is still working - I believe they now do a heavier duty version of mine - costs wise if you use one enough in a shop the electric version will pay for itself as they are like 500 > 600 watt rated ( less in actual use ) where an air one will want about 5hp of compressor to keep up in constant use .