General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:The brand name ones are called xtractalloy. It's most certainly not bs, but I don't know how it goes on aluminium heads. I've seen some awesome photos of stuff on cast iron equipment. Really saves the day.
Yeah I’m sure thats the name. Orange plastic box. Ok cool I’ll give em a try then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

JayWal wrote:Has anyone every used stick rods made just for extracting studs? I keep seeing them at my WS wonder if they actually work. According to the label you stick it straight down into the hole, it welds onto the broken stud or tap, the flux coats and protects the threads of the hole and you weld a nut to the other end and twist it out. Seems intriguing and a load of BS at the same time.

Sorry if I’m hijacking this thread btw.
I saw one of those rods being used at a local fab/machine shop to remove a broken stud. Amazing, threads still intact :shock: .
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

hey Mick, my friend's wife used to work for fastener supply outfit. I think that is a picture of those offset fasteners some people were asking about.... ;)
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Home made off set. Single use only, in reverse. If fastener fails, leave it for night shift.