General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
sportster
    Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:52 am

I'm trying to research new helmets.

I currently wear a 3M 6300 series respirator with the 2097 pancake filters under my older Lincoln Vista 3000 helmet. The area under my current helmet is quite confined with the respirator + prescription eye glasses. a.k.a. it works but things are jammed in there pretty good. I'd guess my older Lincoln was not designed with my respirator in mind.

Question:

does a 3M 6300 series respirator + prescription eye glasses comfortably fit under (say) the new Miller / Optrel / Lincoln helmets ? any reservations in trying to do so ?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Works just fine in any helmet that you can adjust the distance from your face to to the helmet. Extend it outwards (away from your face) if you need extra clearance.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Left-field idea.. If you wear a respirator under your helmet a lot, perhaps look at a model with that built-in for ease of use and more comfort?

Just an example: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/speedglas-w ... -us/adflo/

One less item under the hood.

Bye, Arno.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Not everyone wants to spend $1000+ for such a system.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Oscar wrote:Not everyone wants to spend $1000+ for such a system.
I agree, and they’re heavy. The helmets with the flip up shield you can use for grinding generally are heavier. At least my Miller system it. Unless I’m gonna to be stick welding for an hour or doing some galvanized steel I prefer the 3M half mask. A lot easier on the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Respirators are listed as a last resort. By osha. I use them. But they aren’t an answer to a problem they just reduce the risk. There’s no substitute for air exchange and proper filtration. You shouldn’t have to put on a respirator to be ok. Sadly it’s often up to the individual if they choose to protect themselves.
I have more questions than answers

Josh