General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
new_to_welding
    Thu May 27, 2021 6:33 pm

Okay, looking for info on what I need for welding a 4x8 trailer (for teardrop camper project) for a beginner. What type of machine/torch? I do know I need a mask, gloves, apron, etc. Looking into those now. I want to build either an aluminum trailer or steel. Prefer lighter because of tow weight. Cutting corners is NOT an option here.
I don't want my camper to break off & roll past me at a stop or down a hill. Heard stories of tires doing this (happened to my ex-father-in-law, his tire passed him at a stop sign). Also, a friend's trailer did this when they were on their way back, down a hill. That was a big mass-produced camper...
Videos & books recommendations will be accepted & looked into. No clue which to watch or what to read.
On a fixed income, so I am saving up money for what I need as I go along.
Thank you in advance for any info!
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I don't want to be discouraging, but building a trailer that obviously needs to be road-worthy to protect you and all the drivers behind you, is a terrible project for a beginner. Really, a welder should be nearing the expert level and have at least a couple years of welding experience under their belt before tackling a moderate-risk project like that.

I recommend you go in either of two directions:

1. Spend a solid year learning to weld the basics before attempting a project like that on your own.
Or, 2. If you want to start on it right away, have an experienced welder there with you during the entire build so they can guide you and inspect things as you go along.

Just my 2 cents.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The liability of what you describe is enormous. It can be done, but that is the farthest thing from saying you should do it.

There are material companies out there with all the correctly sized components for you to order and use to fabricate the trailer. But a competent, knowledgeable welder should perform the welding. Especially if it’s aluminum. Most ally trailers are MIG welded in production environments under tight specs. Keeping it straight, true, and strong are critical.

I’d suggest starting by doing some steel tubing projects to learn and understand what is actually involved. Anticipate close to $3k for a machine suitable for welding that ally trailer.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Agree completely.

There's this guy on YouTube on a channel called Welding Tips and Tricks that makes pretty good videos. Watch every single one of his videos. Buy a stick welder. Buy stick welding electrodes: 6011 and 7018 in 3/32" and 1/8". Wire up for 240V /30A outlet if you don't have one already. Buy Steel. Make simple projects every weekend for one year, progressing in both size and complexity. Then do another year like that. Post up extensive pictures and/or videos so you can get advice. Learn how to cut-and-etch. Find experienced mentors as was mentioned. In about two years you might be ready. :)
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

new_to_welding wrote:Okay, looking for info on what I need for welding a 4x8 trailer (for teardrop camper project) for a beginner. What type of machine/torch? I do know I need a mask, gloves, apron, etc. Looking into those now. I want to build either an aluminum trailer or steel. Prefer lighter because of tow weight. Cutting corners is NOT an option here.
I don't want my camper to break off & roll past me at a stop or down a hill. Heard stories of tires doing this (happened to my ex-father-in-law, his tire passed him at a stop sign). Also, a friend's trailer did this when they were on their way back, down a hill. That was a big mass-produced camper...
Videos & books recommendations will be accepted & looked into. No clue which to watch or what to read.
On a fixed income, so I am saving up money for what I need as I go along.
Thank you in advance for any info!
as mentioned building a trailer is not a good first project.
expect to take a year or more to learn welding and fabrication before attempting.
do other small projects first.

learn stick welding first. welders are cheap and its easier to learn correctly.

forget aluminium trailers. they have issues, much harder to design properly, to build, require more powerful welders, and it costs more. the advantage over steel is pretty minor.
tweak it until it breaks
new_to_welding

Alright, people!
I still have an interest in welding. Looking for a stick welder. :D
BUT, I have decided to go with a brand new 4x8 trailer for my project. :twisted:
Thank you for your help!

new_to_welding wrote:Alright, people!
BUT, I have decided to go with a brand new 4x8 trailer for my project. :twisted:
Thank you for your help!
Believe it or not, those cheap little inverter stick welder "lunch boxes" aren't bad at all! I bought some cheapies late last year, and when plugged in to 240V, they will burn rod! This one is about $120 and will easily weld 1/4" steel. Doesn't put out what it says it does (far from it), but it will do about 150A, which is PLENTY to do real damage to 3/8" steel if you use 6011 rods!
new_to_welding

Saw that guy on that Youtube channel called Welding Tips and Tricks. I subscribed. Very good videos.

Thanks for the photo! Now I know what to look for. So many different ones & prices. Looks like a good starting point.
new_to_welding

Oscar wrote:
new_to_welding wrote:Alright, people!
Thank you for your help!
Believe it or not, those cheap little inverter stick welder "lunch boxes" aren't bad at all! I bought some cheapies late last year, and when plugged in to 240V, they will burn rod! This one is about $120 and will easily weld 1/4" steel. Doesn't put out what it says it does (far from it), but it will do about 150A, which is PLENTY to do real damage to 3/8" steel if you use 6011 rods!
That smaller one is about $75 on Amazon.

Yup, when I bought it, it was $89.99 but then I used my rewards card and there was a coupon, and got it for $65! lol that lil' bugger will put out 115A when on 240V, which is enough to use 1/8" 6011s and 1/8" 7018 rods. Plenty for 1/4" steel. I posted my review on Amazon, should be the first one on the list. Arc starts suck, but once you get past that, it will burn rod.