General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:58 pm

We have a broke Dingo quick attachment that's cast steel we believe, welded with cast steel rod UTP super TI but still cracked out after two months .preheated and followed reg procedures. Any ideas thanks!
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Val-Weld,
This is not to correct you but more to clarify, there is a difference between cast iron and cast steel, and therefore it's ability to be welded successfully. Cast steel welds fairly close to mild steel whereas Cast Iron welds totally different and requires lots of hoops to be jumped through.

This is one of those cases where a picture of your part in use will help with the answer to your question. I can't even venture to guess what a Dingo is, other than the wild dog variety. If this part is fundamental to lifting implements, the weld may never hold, but if it's an ancillary part it might well be welded with success.

I'm not familiar with the rod that you mentioned so I don't know what process you're using (GTAW, SMAW, O/A, etc.) to try and weld the part with. That in itself will have a bearing on the weld procedure and preheat and post heat treatments. There have been a few posts here with instructions for sound practices for each process. We have more than a few members here with experience in farming as well as heavy equipment repairs, so an answer should be forthcoming.

I have had very limited success with welding Cast Iron in situations where torsion was involved as in lifting.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Well A dingo is a small track hoe used in small areas like backyards or close to property lines. But yeah we went ahead melted it with good ol mig 6. And sent him back out to work. Will see how it works it was a freebie anyway. Thanks for the info and advice. Going to try to see how to load pic up soon. My success is also limited with Cast and cast steel used for lifting or fit up on heavy equipment. Told him I think it was twisted and would be working against itself. This don't work to tell me to buy a new one.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

What was the attachment ? other than pallet forks all the bit's I've seen on these mini loaders are fabricated & should weld OK with 7018 or mig ( of sufficient amps ) - I've not seen a Dingo - but I believe it's a micro skid steer loader ?

Yep it welded fine with mig six,wire feed wire .035 .sorry for the elaborate discussion. And yes it is a little track machine. Just was puzzled when I tried to do it with the first procedure,an it broke!---.. Just shut up and Glue it! Lol! Thanks for the couple Comments guys.
coldman
  • coldman

Dingo, the great Ozzie invention.
Operator stands at the back. Various attachments including a back hoe.
Dingo1.jpg
Dingo1.jpg (6.62 KiB) Viewed 868 times
coldman
  • coldman

More Dingo pics. They really kick ass working in a backyard near you! :D
Dingo5.jpg
Dingo5.jpg (10.94 KiB) Viewed 862 times
Dingo3.jpg
Dingo3.jpg (6.41 KiB) Viewed 862 times
Dingo2.jpg
Dingo2.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 862 times

That's it! Just up here in Stone .....county Missouri it gets abused good piece of equipment with the right operator though. Never put two an two together ,,, Dingo, duh thanks Auzzies.
coldman
  • coldman

Gets up to 40mph with the kangaroo lassooing package and there is also an optional BBQ attachment. :)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Val-Weld,

It took me a minute on the Stone Co. MO reference... I forgot you were from Branson. Old stomping grounds for me... Grew up in Wright County, and have many friends from Booger County (and I know you know which county that is... :lol: ). Went to "it'S a MesS U."

I'll wager the MIG weld will hold fine. Cast steel is a finicky critter. I usually use 309, even when welding to other cast. A pre-heat never hurts, but I get better results "buttering". I'll weld a heavy pass, and let it crack. Then I'll slot out the crack, so each side of the weld is "buttered" with 309, and weld it again (preferably still pretty warm from the last weld).

Cast steel, unlike cast iron, does not have a hardness problem from the excess carbon in the weld. It has a brittleness problem from the crystalline structure of the cast.

Steve S
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Hey Steve,

I have used 309L for this in the past. Do you see any difference between 309 and 309L for something like this?
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Arizona SA200 wrote:Hey Steve,

I have used 309L for this in the past. Do you see any difference between 309 and 309L for something like this?
I used "309" in the generic sense. I usually have either 309L or 309LSi, and I can't say that I've payed any attention to differences in the two. Perhaps 309 (minus the -L) is the better choice, for carbon content?

Now that you've brought it up, maybe I'll think about it, the next time it comes up.

Steve S