General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Klark
    Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows of a place near Chicago (NW Indiana actually) that will refill tanks for you no matter what size you bring in? Airgas & Praxair both say I can only exchange S size tanks. Problem is, I have two great condition oxygen K size tanks, and one great condition 75/25 T size tank. None of them have been certified since my father last had them filled (1998 or earlier) but I don't mind paying to have them certified again.

I don't mind switching down to S size tanks, but I don't have any S tanks and I'd rather not have to buy them when I already have tanks.. :?
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

How many cubic feet is a k-size tank?
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

A "K" size cylinder is in the 250 cubic foot range.

I'm pretty sure any LWS could arrange for you to get your owner cylinders back, although you may have to prove you are the owner. Assuming that's not in question it would be a matter of making two trips: one to drop off, and another to pick up. There would also likely be a wait of some days in between the drop off and pick up.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
jcw
  • jcw
  • Workhorse
    Workhorse
    Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Not that close to NW Indiana but might want to try ewswelding (weldingsupply.com) in elk grove village. grumpy bunch of guys at the desk but they seem to fill a lot of tanks. I think they told me $30-40 to recert a tank.

right next to them also in elk grove village is HTP or usaweld. nice guys. quick fill while you wait of their own 50g tanks, not sure about other sizes.