General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

mcoe wrote:I hear you on that one. I had to repair a disk harrow that someone had put together with bubble gum about 40 years ago. I swear it took a whole grinding wheel to get that crap off. I never would have thought that those welds would have held that long :lol:
I've been surprised by how long junk welds can last.

I've seen a lot of welds at my gym that make me wonder how that particular machine/thing hasn't collapsed yet.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I've gotta agree about the galvanized. My least favorite job was a cast aluminum oil pan on a D8L cat. Had to do it in place in the field with wind blown sand and oil dripping from the crack. Somehow I made a successful repair with aluminum stick rod but I'd never want to attempt it again. Also it was all overhead while lying on my back under it. Sizzleberries galore :o
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

xwrench wrote:I've gotta agree about the galvanized. My least favorite job was a cast aluminum oil pan on a D8L cat. Had to do it in place in the field with wind blown sand and oil dripping from the crack. Somehow I made a successful repair with aluminum stick rod but I'd never want to attempt it again. Also it was all overhead while lying on my back under it. Sizzleberries galore :o
Yuk!! I've run aluminum stick rods, but always flat, and they are never fun...

That's an excellent job to get that done in those conditions :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Don't let John see this, he will finally be able to say what 6013 is used for. ;) :lol:
-Jonathan

I could use it to repair our manure spreaders.....
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

Mongol wrote:Other people's mistakes.
This^ most things are fairly easily repaired or welded following proper procedures. Last winter a friend brought me a leaking hydraulic cylinder that he tried to do a silver solder repair on, took me about twice as long with the tig chasing that stuff out than it would have to just do the repair in the first place.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I have to lean toward "fixing the mistakes of others" as my least favorite, since this usually includes my other "not happy" welds, standing on my head in the mirror, where the original weldor was not qualified to attempt it.

Steve S
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:I have to lean toward "fixing the mistakes of others" as my least favorite, since this usually includes my other "not happy" welds, standing on my head in the mirror, where the original weldor was not qualified to attempt it.

Steve S
I actually kinda enjoy mirror welding, and practice it as often as i can, my fitter thinks i am retarded for practicing it.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

forrestderp wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I have to lean toward "fixing the mistakes of others" as my least favorite, since this usually includes my other "not happy" welds, standing on my head in the mirror, where the original weldor was not qualified to attempt it.

Steve S
I actually kinda enjoy mirror welding, and practice it as often as i can, my fitter thinks i am retarded for practicing it.
I, too, like mirror welding... Fresh clean joints I fit.

Fixing someone else's dog turds in a mirror, however... :twisted:

Steve S
wrinkleneck
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:53 pm

What do I hate to weld/repair?

Expanded metal.

I even hate fooling with it when new....I hate handling it, cutting it, welding it and especially repairing it.

I also hate doing drywall and painting and plumbing.

What do I love? I love making a small block go rumpty rump rump.

I hate middle aged fat chicks. I friggin hate them because they always frown and they refuse to cook or clean house and they spend money trying to look 20ish and they hate Men because we ain't gotta squat to pee like they do and we guys can cook and clean house and attract 20ish gals and pay our bills and don't do drama or watch soap operas.

But that's just me, and that's the way I work....So don't bring me another wrinkled up expanded metal utility trailer ramp to repair, especially if you have your fat middle aged frowning wife drop it off on her way to get her hair and nails done.

:)
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

@wrinkleneck,
Truth!

Len
Last edited by Braehill on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
coldman
  • coldman

Struth
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Wrinkleneck - thruth - only the frowning, loud mouthed, b1tchy, "not my fault I'm fat and out of shape", starts in their 20's here.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.