General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
andsome
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:31 am

Hello,
I have a couple of questions about variables which may seem stupid to you but I haven't succeeded googling them (I am not a welder)
First, what does Spp. stand for when referring to a technique variable "Spp. >+- 10%"

Second, what does d/fl stand for when rererring to electrical like "Power, speed, d/fl, distance"
may it be density/flow?

thank you very much
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

What type of welder have you got. A picture would help immensely, as things are often called different names but have a diagram that can explain.
andsome

No pictures were provided in this case - these abbreviations were listed within a table of variable welding parameters. It's a welding Code. I saw such characters in other weldings Codes thoughout the internet but with no reference to what it can mean to a non-pro. "Spp.>10" is listed in a technique-related row with such variables nearby as Load, Upset, etc, whereas the d/fl has something to do with electrical parameters.

What's the name of the code.
andsome

ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code

ASME IV?
andsome

Section IX
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

andsome,
There are several of us who have copies of ASME 9 and can probably help you. Where in the code do you fine these? Pages and sections would help.
-Jonathan
andsome

Spp. in Table QW-262
Paragraph QW-410 .27

the d/fl is in Table QW-268
Para Qw409 .21
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

andsome wrote:Spp. in Table QW-262
Paragraph QW-410 .27

the d/fl is in Table QW-268
Para Qw409 .21
I left my code book at the shop, will look in the morning if someone does not answer first.
-Jonathan

When you say you are a "non welder" what exactly does that mean? Welding inspector? Engineer? Must be serious to be poking around in ASME 9. If not, there are a billion easier books out there.
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

This is a really strange question.
Both are very specific parameters:
spp refers to the outside surface velocity in friction stir welding
d/fl refers to the laser's spot and focal length in hybrid laser -GMAW welding.

What exactly are you trying to do here?

Death Ray. Oblivious really. Hahaha
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

@ welding mike - I like your thinking - that's nearly as good as the welding with the power of the sun post !
Could he be trying to find a way of fixing a " laser " to a sharks head for Dr Evil ? !!

Frickin lasers.....
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

noddybrian wrote:@ welding mike - I like your thinking - that's nearly as good as the welding with the power of the sun post !
Could he be trying to find a way of fixing a " laser " to a sharks head for Dr Evil ? !!
Lazer headed sharks????

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Have we got to the point that I need to break out my tinfoil hat? :)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

taz wrote:This is a really strange question.

taz,

Thanks for that! I have a friction-stir company next door (DAMN, THEY'RE LOUD!!!), and don't know enough about it to recognize "spp".

I love new knowledge!

Steve S
taz

Otto Nobedder wrote:
taz wrote:This is a really strange question.

taz,

Thanks for that! I have a friction-stir company next door (DAMN, THEY'RE LOUD!!!), and don't know enough about it to recognize "spp".

I love new knowledge!

Steve S
Scienta est lux lucis (always wanted to say that :D )

On a more serious note, although I am a welding engineer (who also likes to weld) my knowledge in friction stir welding is pretty basic since I have never used this process.
My field is mostly in petrochemical, pipeline and power industries with the more common welding processes so if you have a related question I would be happy to help if I know the answer.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Taz,

I noticed that you are from Athens according to your profile information. Small world, the owners of the truck stop I work at are all from around Athens as well (at least the old man and his brother are. One's son was born and raised here, the other grew up in Greece. Also, there is another guy from Navarrone (sp?) that works here with them as well.) I love hearing stories from home from them, and hearing about the differences between customs and cultures of here and over there.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

taz wrote:...Scienta est lux lucis...
Okay, just HOW long have you been waiting to pull that one out of the cellar?

Love it!

Steve S
taz

GreinTime wrote:Taz,

I noticed that you are from Athens according to your profile information. Small world, the owners of the truck stop I work at are all from around Athens as well (at least the old man and his brother are. One's son was born and raised here, the other grew up in Greece. Also, there is another guy from Navarrone (sp?) that works here with them as well.) I love hearing stories from home from them, and hearing about the differences between customs and cultures of here and over there.
It is a small world. I travel a lot from time to time due to work and although most of the time my schedule in these visits leaves very little if any spare time it is always nice to experience the differences in cultures.
For those that have never visited Greece: We are NOT like the guys in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" :D
Otto Nobedder wrote:
taz wrote:...Scienta est lux lucis...
Okay, just HOW long have you been waiting to pull that one out of the cellar?

Steve S
A long, loooong time believe me. The first time I saw it was 4-5 years ago in a Pipeline magazine the company I work for has subscribed to. It has become one of my favourite quotes. I enjoy learning whether it is related to my work, new skills, new hobbies etc and have found that the source of that knowledge could be anyone or anything regardless of your current level.

Taz,

I see we have common ground! In the welding world, I'll take a minute to drop my hood and watch anyone weld, from a new-hire fresh from school to a 2nd career senior citizen. You never know what you can learn from anothers' technique.

Even my TV habits are about learning. I like History, industry, space, language, and culture programs. I even like food shows, if they focus on a culture.

If only everyone's idea of "I want more" referred to knowledge; We might not be in the state we're in.

Steve S