General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
phoenix
    Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:46 pm

So next month I start my third semester of school. I'll be finishing stick (vertical and overhead) and moving on to mig. Hoping for tig in the fall. I want to get a machine for my home that I can use to get more practice with and use for home projects. I've been reading up best I can, watching YouTube vids and what reviews I can of the multi process machines. I'd like to spend around $1000 and be set for all three processes. More of course for the right machine what are my options? I do have a 220 outlet in my garage for my kiln so power isn't a problem. I know in looking for a multi process there isn't going to be a best option. I want something I can keep at home and use mostly on weekends for my own projects. So reliable and capable is all I need. Any help for me?
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

$1000 budget...

Start by visiting your local welding supplier and see what a bottle of argon will cost you.
Then, wander over to the safety equipment isle and see what gloves and a decent welding helmet will cost you.
Then, go over and see the cost of Mig wire, welding rods and tungsten.
Then, possibly a few tools like a chipping hammer, a pair of pliers, etc.
Finally, figure out what you have left over from the $1000 budget to see what is available and reliable.

I guess my point is, that welding can get expensive, so start out small and buy something that you can make money with.
When the money starts rolling in, invest in some more equipment.
Trying to buy everything, on a shoe string budget, often leads to disappointment. Start small and work your way up. ;)
phoenix wrote:So next month I start my third semester of school. I'll be finishing stick (vertical and overhead) and moving on to mig. Hoping for tig in the fall. I want to get a machine for my home that I can use to get more practice with and use for home projects. I've been reading up best I can, watching YouTube vids and what reviews I can of the multi process machines. I'd like to spend around $1000 and be set for all three processes. More of course for the right machine what are my options? I do have a 220 outlet in my garage for my kiln so power isn't a problem. I know in looking for a multi process there isn't going to be a best option. I want something I can keep at home and use mostly on weekends for my own projects. So reliable and capable is all I need. Any help for me?
RookieWelder
    Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:33 am

WerkSpace wrote: Trying to buy everything, on a shoe string budget, often leads to disappointment. Start small and work your way up. ;)
This sounds like solid advice to me. I am just a beginning home hobbyist welder, and have just started to acquire equipment. I started small and cheap to see if I liked metalworking, and bought a Harbor Freight Mig 170 (four voltage taps and infinitely adjustable wire feed speed).

A few months later, I bought an Everlast PowerArc 200 ST to try my hand at stick welding. All things considered, the Everlast machine is much more 'substantial' than the HF unit. It makes me wish that I hadn't bought the HF machine, and instead had spent more on a better quality Mig machine that has more capability. But, since all the HF machine does is Mig, if it blows up or I decide to get rid of it, all I lose is access to Mig until I buy a different machine; I can keep right on stick welding.

My point in this ramble is that it might make the most sense to focus less on getting access to multiple processes for a low price; instead, buy the best individual piece of equipment that you can afford.

Again, I am just a very rookie welder - so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Dwight
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

From reading this and other forums, the conventional wisdom around multi-process machines is, get one for hobby purposes, but don't rely on it to run your business- if one process fails and has to be shipped out for repair, you've lost the other processes as well.

You've probably already got the PPE, but keep in mind as Werkspace mentions in the first post, you'll need shielding gas, and they are different for MIG and TIG so now you're talking about acquiring (rent or buy) and storing different bottles. You may know CO2 will work for heavier MIG welding, and it's a lot cheaper. You'll need to know how the gas suppliers work in your area, whether they take owner bottles in trade or if they keep your specific bottle and take some time to fill and return your specific bottle back to you. Sometimes a name on the neck ring means you can only take it to that name to be refilled, or that it's a rental only bottle for sale cheap on Craig's List. I got burned recently buying a co2 bottle that I didn't notice said "property of Pepsi". (It was dirty and imprinted on the side of the bottle, not at the neck ring, but still I shoulda known better.)

You might do well keeping a close eye on Craig's List and scoring deals on individual machines as they come up. I also see welders on my county's property disbursal auction site, and at www.govdeals.com.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Dwight,
Since you already have the machines to Mig, Stick, Tig, what else are you trying to do?
about the only thing you can't do at this point is weld Aluminum and that is not very likely with your $1K budget.

What I'm saying is your HF mig welder may not be the best in the welding world but it's able to do most home Mig welding projects. Your Everlast will stick weld more than any home project that I can think of, and if it can't you can always Tig weld it with that machine. A 200 Amp Tig welder will weld anything up to at least 1" in steel with multiple passes and a suitable torch. If I were you I would keep that money set aside for when your Mig machine dies and then buy a Mig in the 200/210 amp range.

Just my opinion.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I bought a multi process machine that was tig stick plasma because I was on a tight budget and it only cost $750 so I got it. I didnt read the rating on the machine that said it was for occasional use only. It was not rated for the daily use I put it through so I burnt it up in 6 months.
A major problem I ran into was changing gas back and forth from argon to compressed air and back. For you it will be argon to mix and back. It is annoying and switching lead is frustrating if you do it often.
The best advice I can give you is to invest in separate machines. When my multi machine went down, I was out of a tig and stick welder and a plasma cutter. I still had my mig because it was a separate machine.
Hobart makes some great small mig welders for fairly cheap. Everlast makes some very good machines for very cheap. I recommend buying separate machines and like was already mentioned look at your equipment cost. After I bought my mig welder I only had enough money to buy a piece of sheet metal to use as a table and I had to run the free sample of flux core wire. Check out: everlastgenerators.com and get some prices.
For tig supplies go to: weldingcity.com They have good stuff cheap. Cheapest price on tungsten I have found and rods.
Also check prices on leasing a bottle don't buy and own I got into that and am stuck with a bottle that I can't take anywhere other than where I bought it from and that supplier keeps jacking the price on me so I am done with them.
Hope this helps.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
RookieWelder
    Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:33 am

Braehill wrote:Dwight,
Since you already have the machines to Mig, Stick, Tig, what else are you trying to do?
about the only thing you can't do at this point is weld Aluminum and that is not very likely with your $1K budget.

What I'm saying is your HF mig welder may not be the best in the welding world but it's able to do most home Mig welding projects. Your Everlast will stick weld more than any home project that I can think of, and if it can't you can always Tig weld it with that machine. A 200 Amp Tig welder will weld anything up to at least 1" in steel with multiple passes and a suitable torch. If I were you I would keep that money set aside for when your Mig machine dies and then buy a Mig in the 200/210 amp range.

Just my opinion.

Len
Hi Len,

Actually - I'm not the original poster with the $1000 budget; so I don't want to hijack his thread too much or too long. But...

Thanks very much for your thoughts and advice! As a hobbyist welder, I agree with you 100% about the state of my gear. Being that the OP is an actual welding student, I wouldn't recommend that he go the same route I did (which given my situation and needs, I think was a good one in general).

My primary thought for the OP's question was to suggest that he not look for an all-in-one Mig/Stick/Tig unit. Inevitably, there will be some compromises made when 3 different processes are bundled together. They may be compromises that a hobbyist is willing to accept, but perhaps aren't acceptable for professional or semi-professional use.

But, at the end of the day, it's definitely his decision to make based on his specific needs/wants.

Thanks again,

Dwight
phoenix

Thanks for responding guys. I'm just looking for a decent 3 in 1 for the purpose of hobby, learning, and gaining more experience. It wouldn't be a business investment. I have all of the necessary ppe as this isn't my first semester welding. I know I would also need gas and filler metal, and tungsten. For now I would only be using mig and stick then come fall start with tig. I was thinking either the Longevity ProMTS, or the Lincoln PowerMig.

I suppose I could spend hours on Craigslist looking for a welder, then driving to investigate it, and buy a stick machine, and a mig machine, and a tig machine. Or I could save myself time and money, and headache and buy a new multi process machine.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/produ ... arc-160sth

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/produ ... i-mig-140e

These look like some fairly decent machines. Plenty of power to do small projects and to get some practice in. They have great customer support and a great warranty. Plus those two machine fall inside your budget with some left over.

If you like them and want to order them DON"T ORDER OFF OF EVERLAST! Go to amazon.com and order. Usually you get free shipping and the price is usually cheaper.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Phoenix,
It looks like the PowerMig 210 MP might be the way to go. I think there was a review of this welder on here (Maybe Xwrench) from not too long ago. It's a fairly new machine so I don't think anybody can speak yet to it's durability, but I haven't heard any negatives yet. They list for right around $1K.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

On the opposite side of the coin to what Werk was saying, the you may get a good machine for 1k but adding all the other "hidden costs" may tip you over the edge. I know this because I have a mig in the shed with no gas to go with it. Research package deals, also places like Lincoln sell package deals on safety gear.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Can also see if your LWS can make you a package deal with everything you'll need. May be able to get it cheaper. And tell them you're a welding student.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
phoenix

Well, on the advice of my instructors, I've decided against a multi process machine. I'm in the market right now for a mig machine. A good one. I figured switching to a single process machine affords me the ability to get a better machine for a better value. Been checking CraigsList. Any thoughts on a good mig machine? I do have a 220 circuit in my garage for a kiln that I never use and need to sell, so should be plenty for a welder. Preferably something with a good duty cycle, and spool gun ready.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I like my Millermatic machines. http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1325j_mil.pdf
The first one cost me $1200 and the second $40 as scrap. (spare parts)
phoenix wrote:Well, on the advice of my instructors, I've decided against a multi process machine. I'm in the market right now for a mig machine. A good one. I figured switching to a single process machine affords me the ability to get a better machine for a better value. Been checking CraigsList. Any thoughts on a good mig machine? I do have a 220 circuit in my garage for a kiln that I never use and need to sell, so should be plenty for a welder. Preferably something with a good duty cycle, and spool gun ready.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Check out Hobart's site for refurbished machines. They come with a warranty but you get a significant discount. Right now they have the ironman230 for $1100. That's a huge bargain, on a very capable welder.

WRT the multiprocess machines, even though you have decided against one, the one thing to keep in mind is that most of the MIG/TIG/Stick units will not TIG weld aluminum, and most do not have high frequency start. If you want to learn TIG, you are kind of limiting yourself with one of those machines.
Multimatic 255
grecker96
    Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Go on YouTube and look up Chucke2009's channel, he has a Longevity promts, after watching his reviews of it and seeing that the machine isn't a piece of junk like some Chinese welders, I bought one myself, I've had it for almost a year and its never let me down, I can't tell the difference between that and the brand new millers I run at work, the machines are well worth the money.
Julian0216
    Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:55 am

Hi guys! I'm also on the hunt for a multi-purpose machine. I'm trying to find something that would be good for hobbies and practice mostly but has the capabilities to do heaviery Duty work. Was wondering if any of you guys have tried the ESAB rebel that comes out at end of the year. I like that machine strictly because I can run 110 from an extension cord. I mostly stick weld with 3/32 and 5/32 rods. I'm trying to find the best bang for my buck with the most capabilities and quality craft manship. My budget is 1300$. I prefer to spend less but will spend maybe a little more if I know I won't have to worry about another welding machine ever again. I need something portable and doesn't take up a substantial amount of space and is versatile. Thank you!!!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That's a new phenomenon I didn't realize could happen...

I see Julian added to the topic title for his post, without changing the topic. I'm writing this to see if his addition remains in the thread, or remains on his post alone.

[Edit] Cool! It seems you can edit the topic title for your post alone, as Julian did, making his post very specific.

Steve S

Braehill wrote:Phoenix,
It looks like the PowerMig 210 MP might be the way to go. I think there was a review of this welder on here (Maybe Xwrench) from not too long ago. It's a fairly new machine so I don't think anybody can speak yet to it's durability, but I haven't heard any negatives yet. They list for right around $1K.

Len
Jody has a 3 video playlist of the PowerMIG 210mp on his YouTube channel. He has a lot of nice things to say about it. Looks like a pretty darn nice machine.

ldb
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

The ESAB rebel comes out next month. Well be a direct competitor to the 210mp
Revocide
    Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:05 am

http://victortechnologies.com/Thermal%2 ... /index.php

Which is the same as

http://www.cigweld.com.au/product/mig-w ... 00i-plant/

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt ... em.jpg&f=1

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt ... 0i.png&f=1

I personally use a BOC Smootharc 175 multiprocess, mainly for 0.8mm flux core. Doesn't have the full volt, wire speed controls as most conventional units but it does what I ask of it.