General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

DCAM0121.JPG
DCAM0121.JPG (77.8 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Weld testing who needs an XRay test this is proper way to test a weld.
wilflip.jpg
wilflip.jpg (21.78 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Hey dirtmidget! I'm glad you posted your pic as I was kinda thinkin you had something to do with racecars. Do you work for someone who builds them or is it yoir hobby? Midget racing used to be huge around here but sadly all the tracks are gone and you have to travel to see races anymore. My dad used to take me to the Santa Fe oval but sadly now it is a bus parking lot. Judging from your posts, you really know your game.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
dirtmidget33

@exnailpounder it says your near Chicago there is a few tracks not to far from you that run midgets several times a year. If you come south there is some of the best national midget cars racing with Powri which is a traveling series. http://www.powri.com car counts are normally 35 to 50 cars a nite. I am a second generation driver and car owner. I was severely injured several years ago and was not able to return to driving. I was raised around racecars, family going back before cages on cars. Currently been planning and working on project making 3/4 scale Indy/F1 cars of 1967-1968 eagles and lotus. Construction hasn't began yet but hopefully soon will start making the chassis. Haven't decided totally on power plants for them. Not sure how well I know my game just had great guys to learn from and paid attention to them throughout the years. When I answer anything I use the best experience and knowledge that I know at time, might not be right or best way.
Last edited by dirtmidget33 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
exnailpounder

There is a dirt track in Springfield that runs midgets and flat track bikes...now there is some crazy dudes...and I think there is a track in Morris Illinois but I am not sure its dirt. I live close enough to the NASCAR track that I can hear the stock cars and I can definitly hear the Top Fuel cars and it seems like those cars stole the thunder from midgets. They also have a dirt track but I don't think they run midgets. I worked with a guy when I was young that ran midgets and he lived and breathed them and we used to go to the track and watch him alot...I miss those days. Kids today don't have any idea what real fun is.
I hope you post up your projects, that would be fun to see. I wish I could get into welding that sort of thing but I am just the guy who takes what nobody else wants. The closest I get to a race car is repairing aluminum frames on golf carts when the drunks crash into each other 8-) . It sounds like you had some great teachers
along the way, I enjoy your posts. Keep us informed on your
work...Jeff
dirtmidget33

There is also a midget group in your backyard http://imraracing.com/home/4580392306 they run a lot in east Moline IL at Quad City raceway. There motor rules are a little different than what a national midget is but you can't notice the difference. There is another group Badger http://www.bmara.com/index.html that runs up in Wisconsin and crosses into Illinois. They run LaSalle IL a few time a year. When I start the new project I will post pics. What years about did your friend run his car. Do you know what association he ran with.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

dirt
i thought only us moto guys jumped ...lol
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
dirtmidget33

motox wrote:dirt
craig
Midgets and nonwing Sprints spend a lot of time on two wheels coming out of corner and on one wheel threw the corner :lol:

Then sometimes we fly like a bird 8-) Which is cool but,
The landings suck :lol: :shock:
163347629-L[1].jpg
163347629-L[1].jpg (41.02 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
motox

dirt
looks like a rush!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox

dirt
what kind of power?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

dirtmidget33 wrote:
motox wrote:dirt
craig
Midgets and nonwing Sprints spend a lot of time on two wheels coming out of corner and on one wheel threw the corner :lol:

Then sometimes we fly like a bird 8-) Which is cool but,
The landings suck :lol: :shock:
163347629-L[1].jpg
OR NOT
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
dirtmidget33

The motor in pics I posted is a Gearte. Uses a Gearte-rodeck block with a brodix head. These are mechanical fuel injected motors my motor uses 2 fuel injectors per cyl. what we call up nozzles and down nozzles. one injector is in the intake other injector goes directly in head. Motors typically put out 400 to 450 horsepower Cars weigh 900 lbs. Midgets for the most part run special engines built just for racing. They are not converted production engines. Other common ones are Esslingers, Fontana, Sesco, there is a new Toyota based motor came out few years ago.

Before someone asks we wear arm restraints to keep our arms from flying out cockpit. Its impossible to always hold onto the wheel because of g forces. The pic above the arm restraint broke and Iam unconscious.
motox

dirt
nice weight to hp.
how long before a rebuild?
hope I'm note being a pain in the ass
just love race stuff
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
dirtmidget33

No your fine don't mind answering questions. On the question of rebuilds that depends on a lot of factors. Will try to explain the way we decided it and thought process of it. First off how much money you have, with any motor the fresher it is the better. Second depends on the schedule of races by that I mean the size of track and number of laps. Naturally bigger tracks are harder on motors as is more laps. Thirdly if your running titanium rods they have a shorter life span then steel. The way we personally evaluated our motors was naturally oil pressure is a big one, but after every race motor got a leak down test if we got to 12% leakage it was being gone threw. Valve spring rates was checked and valves adjusted. If we had a weak spring might just be a head job or a complete overhaul depending on leak test and how many races it had or what was coming up. The plugs would be checked every race If cylinder ran lean started to melt cyl it was coming apart. Oil filter gets cut apart after each race. If trash found in filter it was coming apart. fuel injectors removed and cleaned, fuel filter cleaned and fuel system drained and flushed. We run methanol and it is very corrosive on parts. I would say every 3 to 5 races was prolly the average. I know of other teams that only do it once a year, but they don't do maintenance I did on my motor as for checking that stuff. It is better to check and rebuild then blow it apart.
I apologize for long answer but as I said no easy answer. If your running three nights in a row after towing for 500 to 800 miles sometimes you do what you have to keep it running also.
exnailpounder

dirtmidget33 wrote:There is also a midget group in your backyard http://imraracing.com/home/4580392306 they run a lot in east Moline IL at Quad City raceway. There motor rules are a little different than what a national midget is but you can't notice the difference. There is another group Badger http://www.bmara.com/index.html that runs up in Wisconsin and crosses into Illinois. They run LaSalle IL a few time a year. When I start the new project I will post pics. What years about did your friend run his car. Do you know what association he ran with.
His name was Rich Corson and it was in the middle 80's so I don't know what org he was with. I was about 21 when I ran with him so my whole life was about poontang so please excuse my lack of knowledge :D I bet you werent even born yet but I do admire your passion and knowledge. :lol:
dirtmidget33

The name sounds familiar believe he still runs, that or it might be his son running now. Good chance we ran against them at some point. I am going on forty so not that young anymore. Out of curiosity I searched his name while answering this, looks like he runs with a group I forgot about. That is the stars series http://www.shorttrackauto.com/ looks like they took over the Grundy races another one that's in your backyard.
exnailpounder

I didnt mean any disrespect but you look young. Take it as compliment... I looked gounger than my years until I got hurt and had a couple surgeries and I seemed to age overnight. That pic of you in the car flying through the air is unreal..is that when you were injured? That is living on the edge...but I have always said that if you arent living on the edge...your taking up too much space. By the way...Rich Corsons dad was a racer and his name was Bob...they were from Midlothian illinois. Havent seen Rich in 25 years.
dirtmidget33

No offense taken looking young has its advantages for awhile I never told anyone my real age if they assumed I was younger I let them believe it. I actually and this is no joke couldn't remember my real age when driving unless I did the math or asked the wife. I quit keeping track of it younger was better. The flip when car was neon red (looks orange red in certain light) that I put up is when I got hurt. Broke both legs, broke back, a rib, had lung damage they where filling with blood, Concussions, eyes where completely blood shot broke blood vessels in them, bruises from head to toe. I was in an induced coma for almost 2 weeks. They woke me up a few times. Left hospital with titanium rods inside bones of lower legs they go from knee to ankle with plates on outside of the bones.
motox

dirt
i raced motocross and off road for 40 years so i understand the importance
of maintenance. nothing worse than a DNF but after your answer I'm
really glad the four wheel bug never bite me.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

My ugly mug at work.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1423834400668.jpg
FB_IMG_1423834400668.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
Last edited by RocketSurgeon on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
dalesalisbury
    Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:48 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:Typical math teacher/part time welder :)

Shade 5 or higher to look at my beautiful head :D
image.jpg
Dave it's all those mathmatical equations that cause hair :lol: loss - that's why I never venture past simple fractions - have a full head of hair. :lol:
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

dalesalisbury wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:Typical math teacher/part time welder :)

Shade 5 or higher to look at my beautiful head :D
image.jpg
Dave it's all those mathmatical equations that cause hair :lol: loss - that's why I never venture past simple fractions - have a full head of hair. :lol:
I tell my sons my head didn't have enough power to run my huge brain...so it kicked off the hair to get more sunlight.

...yeah, they don't believe me either. :lol:
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

RocketSurgeon wrote:My ugly mug at work.
We probably pass each other every morning.

I get on I-12 east about 6:15-6:20 every morning at exit 57 (Hwy 1077).

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

RocketSurgeon,
I'd say next time you take a selfie for us that you turn off the zero gravity machine that has you all sideways and stuff. :)

Welcome to the forum.

I'll be here making the fuel when you're ready for it. (Hydrogen plant operator/repairman)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I couldn't find my last set of mug shots, so you'll have to take your pick from these two. :)

Other Steve
Attachments
10624792_853784187968005_7923922786171840935_n.jpg
10624792_853784187968005_7923922786171840935_n.jpg (81.44 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
IMG_5222.JPG
IMG_5222.JPG (52.05 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
exnailpounder

The top pic is Rick from Pawn Stars