General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Devildog2076
    Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 pm

I use an auto darkening helmet I have had for a few years and have never changes the lenses. The other day I welded for 2-3 hours and had sand in the eyes afterward. How often are you supposed to change the lenses? I am using a miller 211 mvp machine if it makes any difference.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Some helmets have batteries that can and should be changed periodically but I've never heard of a specific time frame. I'm guessing it would depend on their usage and times switching between modes. I'm sure that the solar ones have a life span and again it would depend on how often it gets used and how often it cycles between modes.

I don't think you'll get a real clear answer to your question here or anywhere else really.

Len
P.S. A model and brand might get you closer to the answer.
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I believe sand in the eyes is uv flashing. The uv protection in auto helmets is usually a protective coating (purple mostly) and is the therefore a permanent barrier separate from the darkening process and batteries.
If you are getting flashed you should stop using it until you change out the lense.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

So we are on the same page, we are talking about the clear lens in front and behind the auto dark filter aren't we? If so, the main UV filter is in the auto lens itself and if you are truely getting flash burn in your eyes from a faulty helmet it is time to replace your helmet. Before you throw it away though check the battery and make sure it has a charge and that is not the problem. What can happen is if your battery is low you can get flashed for a split second because it cannot react fast enough and over a course of a day that can add up to "sand in the eyes".

As for the life span of an auto dark helmet, all things have a service life including hemlets. A helmet that allows you to replace your battery is one you can keep in service by simply switching the battery but there are helmets that do not have a replaceable battery, at least without breaking into the lens itself, and these have a service life of a few thousand hours usually. Hope this helps.
-Jonathan
Devildog2076

Braehill wrote:Some helmets have batteries that can and should be changed periodically but I've never heard of a specific time frame. I'm guessing it would depend on their usage and times switching between modes. I'm sure that the solar ones have a life span and again it would depend on how often it gets used and how often it cycles between modes.

I don't think you'll get a real clear answer to your question here or anywhere else really.

Len
P.S. A model and brand might get you closer to the answer.
I use a lincoln electric KH 605 auto darkening-- with # 11 fixed shade.
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Chances are its reflected light entering from behind you and bouncing off the inside lens and giving you a flash.is there white walls,shiny/reflective surfaces or other welders in the vacinity?
Dancing with the blue lady
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Or off your body /chest and up underneath your shield.
Devildog2076

wheresmejumper wrote:Chances are its reflected light entering from behind you and bouncing off the inside lens and giving you a flash.is there white walls,shiny/reflective surfaces or other welders in the vacinity?

Matter of fact I am doing most of the welding on top of a stainless steel table..........
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Devildog2076 wrote:
wheresmejumper wrote:Chances are its reflected light entering from behind you and bouncing off the inside lens and giving you a flash.is there white walls,shiny/reflective surfaces or other welders in the vacinity?

Matter of fact I am doing most of the welding on top of a stainless steel table..........
I prefer to wear dark clothing when welding. I find the reflected light from a light-colored shirt distracting, though I don't recall blaming sandy-eyes on it.

I won't rule out the idea that an old lens is no longer reacting as fast as it should. Trusting the response time until the hood fails completely seems unwise. With electronics, there's no promise of a "sudden fail"... some aspect of a complex system, such as response time, may fail independently.

Steve S