General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I know we have guys like dirt midget who builds car chassis from tube so I have a question...My son wants a brushguard and a cargo basket for his 4runner and I don't even have a clue how to do something like that. I want it to be integrated so all of it is welded to frame members of the vehicle. He wants the big basket for the roof for his spare and camping gear and a nice brush guard but I don't want the basket to sit on the ski racks, I want it to be sort of like an exo-skeleton so everything is on the frame. Where do I find info on this?? This is going to be his golden birthday present from me so I want it to be cool...HELP :o
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That's the kind of thing I'd build on the TLAR method.... Scratch-build, jig pieces in place, stand back and say, "That Looks About Right." 8-)

I couldn't be of help unless I were there. Hopefully, someone will have already done this. Perhaps search google images for "ATV racks" for ideas?

Steve S
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

jeff
shoot a message to tamjeff he is a wizard
with tubing maybe he has some insight
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Try searching 4runner exoskeleton several pics and build forums should pop up. If building an exoskeleton need to decide is this to support light loads or be able to be used as a rollcage and support vehicle when it's upside down. If trying to build a true rollcage design geometry (triangulation) and size is an important element of it to keep weight down and eliminate unnecessary tubing. Just seen some pics of stuff with excessive tubing in them and structurally does nothing for it. I believe your idea is mainly to support light loads though. So that makes your build easier.

Lot of these cages and stuff on street cars get bolted to framework with strengthening plates behind them. If bolted you could design a modular unit so it could be taken off easily for repairs beneath the structure. Racecar frames I would never suggest bolting frame together In modules but this is for street uses. Frames I am used to, the frame is the entire car meaning the rollcage is a structural element in the frame itself you don't have a frame with a cage. you just have a frame.
Last edited by dirtmidget33 on Tue May 26, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

See some new tools in future :D :lol: :D. For you.
1. Tubing bender with different die sets
2. Tubing notcher
3. Mess of new clamps.

JD squared makes some really nice stuff. I am thinking about getting there beast tubing notcher.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

NEW TOOLS!! ohboy oh boy oh boy! Thanks for the help guys!I did some digging at the recommended sites. There is some cool stuff you can do to these vehicles. I am looking forward to this project. I am going to sit down withmy son and draw up what he wants. I like Steves suggestion about the TLAR process. Any ideas on tubing size? It looks like most use 1 1/2" tube. As dirtmidget pointed out, this will be light duty, not a roll cage. He just wants to look the part :D.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
yamahablue
    Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:08 pm

I would say 1 3/4 tube is just as common if not more commonly used for exo cages, at least on rock crawler type rigs. Alot of exo's tie into front and rear tube or plate bumpers that are welded or bolted to the frame, also onto rock sliders that are more commonly welded to the frame. There are some good toyota forums that should have plenty of pictures to get design ideas.

My brother has an exo caged 4runner that looks like it was made at a muffler shop,the exo that is, even though it is of questionable quality it has taken several low speed flops without failure keeping the body relatively straight.