General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bootsmagee
    Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:07 am

Hey guys, I'm a fresh newbie to welding and I'm having trouble finding an answer to a basic question; maybe there isn't one. When working on a large-sized project outdoors at home, if you have no shop floor to work on, how do you go about things with no true level surface to work from? Is there a solution? Obviously it would be best to use a welding table for most projects, but what if the project is much larger? I.E. fabricating a conveyor or other large construction?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Job sites are rarely level! I use pipe stands that are adjustable to create a level surface. Or you can make a bench with lots of adjustment in the legs. There was a recent post of a bench someone made and you can see the threaded rod adjustable feet. Those would be used to create a level surface to work from.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Use a theodolite or dumpy level. (the thing you look through to sight a point on a staff. That way you can pick a datum and make all your marks at the same point. Also string lines, and clear hose filled with water. Hold the tube with water up against your mark and the water at the other end of the tube will be exactly the same hight.

Mick
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The new laser levels are good too. But sometimes hard to see in bright sun light.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Most of the time I just use stands and sawhorses. Then level and wedge to suit.

String lines and water levels are great for longer/larger items where a level is just too darn short.

My laser level is indoor only unless I buy special targets to see the line.

Have not built anything out of metal large enough to need my transit yet :D but an excellent idea.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

WerkSpace wrote:Image
Great way to put your starter strip on your house for siding also. Buddy calls it the Egyptian level.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

bruce991 wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:Image
Great way to put your starter strip on your house for siding also. Buddy calls it the Egyptian level.
I've used it to build enormous decks around pools, and other obstacles, where laser levels are impractical. I learned it before laser levels existed.

Gravity is more accurate than anything you can buy from the Home Depot.

Steve S
bootsmagee
    Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:07 am

Really useful beginner info here, guys. Thanks for all the responses and ideas!
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

no problems