General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
GoRilla
    Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 am

I need to purchase a LaGesse square and I figured I'd get some tungsten from you as well. I like supporting these types of stores. I have a Lincoln precision tig 225. I need some tungsten for doing AL work. I looked on the weld calculator and it says to use pure tungsten. I don't see any at your store. Do you not sell it or could I use another type with my machine. Going to do a job operating in the 190-220 amp range so I need 3/32.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

One of the videos at WT&T.com compares different types of tungstens, and concludes that 2% lanthanated is a good, all-around tungsten for both aluminum and steel. On the strength of that video I have only 2% lanth in the inventory, and i can sharpen both ends of the tungsten (i.e., removing the color marker).

It's not the *only* tungsten you should or could use, but it works well over a wide variety of materials, so it makes sense.
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Just as Artie says...I use 2% lanthanated for everything and so that's the only type I stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoRilla
    Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 am

2% lanthanated it'll be !! I watched the video and I like the fact that 2% lanthanated can maintain somewhat of a point while welding AC. Thanks fellas !