General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

so i was thinking of getting a better foot pedal than the (i assume) cheap one that comes with the everlast powertig 250 ex, so i got 2 questions: what foot pedals do you recommend, and how easy is it to swap them? because i know they all come with their own "connectors" that go in the machine, and their different, so is it just as easy as taking off the connector of the foot pedal that comes with my welder that will fit 100 % on my machine, and putting the connector on the new pedal? or is it more in depth than that?

thank you for your time and patience with my questions :P

regards
noah
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

If you get a pedal that's made for your machine it will have the proper plug on it. Plug and play.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Pedals themselves are not universally interchangeable. The value of the potentiometer inside has to match the machine. I got a SSC pedal but this is my first tig machine so l have nothing to compare it to. What makes you think your pedal isn't up to snuff?
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Everlast has an upgrade pedal available, so it will be specific to your machine and no question of what connectors / ohms / pinouts etc. If you buy a machine new from Everlast they may have some kind of package deal for you.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

sedanman wrote: What makes you think your pedal isn't up to snuff?

Just saying, usually the manufacturer cheaps out on pedals, I'll wait till I get my machine to see, buy many of the included ones are crap and you can feel the gears as you press with your foot (from what I heard)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

There are many Everlast users here, and their products have been reviewed ad nauseum. It's been a long time since anyone has panned their foot pedal, so I assume it's much improved over their early days (yes, there were complaints).

As someone has already mentioned, the potentiometer value can be dramatically different. Miller pedals have a 1Kohm pot. If I recall, Everlast has a 50Kohm pot. Big difference.

As long as you get a pedal who's resistance matches, and know or can easily figure out the pinouts, it can be as simple as changing the connector. This usually means cutting and splicing the wires, as the terminals at the connector are permanent installations.

Steve S
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

I just bought a 250ex a few months ago, and the foot pedal that they sent with the machine is as smooth as my miller econotig that is 20 years old.
I don't have a problem at all.
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill