General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Ok, July, 250 will be mine. Oh yes, it shall be mine. Now, I would guess, that I would just leave the machine in my shed thing. Bring the cables outside and weld that way. So, I would guess, 15 feet would be plenty long for me. I am new to welding. So, if I get a Bobcat 250 with EFI, what else do I need, to stick weld with the thing? Now, I know I need the cables. I also know, that unless I get one that si all set up, I need the ground clamp and the electrode. I also know that I need them to all run the same amps. I COULD get ones that would go to the max amps the welder would run. But, I will never need that much. I think, 1/4 stick, 6010 and 6011needs 210 - 315 amps at the max. So, lets say I wanted things that could go, 400 tops. What would I need?

I am getting this stuff next month. I just thought I would ask people who know. Thank you for the information. ;)
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

If you are only going 15 feet #2 is fine for welding up to 1/4" electrode. If you think you are going to get up to 400(I) get 2/0.

Why don't you get 50ft of 2/0 (25 work/25 electrode) then make you up a #2 whip about 10ft. long.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Glowzinski

Interesting. Well, I've not a clue what a whip is. haha
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

A whip is a lighter gauge cable that connects from your stinger to the cable. And remember leaving your welding leads unsecured is like leaving your wallet laying around, they will walk off.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Glowzinski

Wow, that is really interesting. I would be find just putting the cable on my electrode thing. But, now see, haha I will have to go to my local Miller place and ask them to show me all of this stuff. THIS, is why I've decided to take a four hour class that teaches you mig, tig and stick. I am sure they could tell me about this stuff. You've been most helpful.