General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Turbo wrote:I finally did get the sdvosb certification. The bullshit never really ends though, and it looks like I'll need to file some more paperwork to view export controlled documents. Mostly it's just a pain to sort and navigate. Sometimes a solicitation says they need 100 brackets, and then it includes pdf drawings for an entire truck with no indication of which bracket they actually want. Other times they just give a national stock number and I have no idea how to find the prints.
Did you really expect the bullshit and paperwork to stop...I mean this is the government we are talking about. I don't care what side you are on: there is always paperwork and hoops to jump through. And nobody likes paperwork especially when it is useless and excessive.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
Turbo wrote:I finally did get the sdvosb certification. The bullshit never really ends though, and it looks like I'll need to file some more paperwork to view export controlled documents. Mostly it's just a pain to sort and navigate. Sometimes a solicitation says they need 100 brackets, and then it includes pdf drawings for an entire truck with no indication of which bracket they actually want. Other times they just give a national stock number and I have no idea how to find the prints.
Did you really expect the bullshit and paperwork to stop...I mean this is the government we are talking about. I don't care what side you are on: there is always paperwork and hoops to jump through. And nobody likes paperwork especially when it is useless and excessive.
Does it make you wonder how many trees the Forest Service kills with the required paperwork?

:lol:

Steve
Poleframer
    Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

I did govt contracting (forestry) for over 25 years, 15 of them on my own,I had over 50 employees over that time. Bid high and wear yer brass balls to the prework. Stick to the contract specs and expect them to do the same.
Treat your crew as family. In my experience the govt picked quality first, despite what people say, bid a fair rate for what you do and go for RFP over RFQ bids. Learn how to write proposals.
Get yer DUNS number and other such in line, once you wade through the BS you wont have to wade through it again.
It's not as bad as some paint it.
I got out of it mostly because I didnt like having to travel so much for work, decided to settle down a bit. Good money tho, and far more professional dealings than private work, in my experience.