General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
mroller
    Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:35 pm

I am trying to change my career, took welding in high school 20+ yrs ago. should I go thru several semesters at a college? others have suggested to take just a a quick course to master my welds, study the book on my own and just take the certification test. suggestions? classes are harder to find san mateo county then they once were, anyone recommend a great school?
thanks you
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

mroller wrote:I am trying to change my career, took welding in high school 20+ yrs ago. should I go thru several semesters at a college? others have suggested to take just a a quick course to master my welds, study the book on my own and just take the certification test. suggestions? classes are harder to find san mateo county then they once were, anyone recommend a great school?
thanks you
i would find a small welding only night class to start off with, that is what i am doing right now, and practice on your own as well. for me its easy to learn on my own as my cousin is in school for welding so all the stuff there doing in school is verry fresh for him.. but one thing i can say is challenge your self with your welds.. both jody and ChuckE2009 have good welding videos on how to do certian welds and how to weld with MIG TIG and stick.. biggest thing is practice practice. and a little bit of good instruction.

also if u can get some time with stick welding.. it will make the others a little easier to learn.. most of my time personally has been on stick, and i have found picking up the others easier then the reverse.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Talk to the welding instructors at your local welding school. See how long the program is and how it fits into your schedule. Some schools are changing their classes to be when ever you can come in come in. If you can pass test x right of way you move on and it is all on you. Maybe find a school that can provide you that type of class. Find a field of welding you want to do and focus Moe won that and start with those classes so you can starts job as soon as possible.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
mroller
    Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:35 pm

thank you so very much for your fast response, I will do as you recommend