General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Cwaldrop96
    Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:38 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so here's a little background on myself. I'm 20 years old and am entering my last semester in welding school, So I'm looking to upgrade to a better hood before i graduate. i currently have a miller classic series hood which i purchased in high school, i like this hood but I'd like to get a higher dollar hood before i enter the workforce. I've got it narrowed down to 3 hoods that i like and i was wondering if y'all could give me some input. I'm considering either a Miller digital elite, a Speedglas 9100xxi or an Optrel e680. any feedback on these? any opinions or other recommendations are welcomed! Thanks!
Last edited by Cwaldrop96 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Firstly, welcome.

Secondly, I'm in Australia so probably not much help to you, although I've seen a lot of positive talk on this forum about the Optrel. Someone will be along in the near future to offer some sage advice, I'm sure.

Kym
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I personally use a Digital Infinity which is the larger version of the elite. I love the hood and it works really well. It has the x-mode which allows a welder to work in brighter areas like the outdoors unlike most auto dark hoods. I also like the ease of controls and settings.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Cwaldrop96
    Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:38 pm

i meant to say digital infinity lol, a couple of my friends/classmates have the Miller titanium 9400 and i like it too. too many options!
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Be careful with the titanium hoods. It may be nice to have the extra grind shield but if you don't use it in your job often you water money when you could have bought a dedicated shield that is a little more extendable or use the grind mode for like grinding tungsten or what not. The clarity in the digital infinity is really nice to so your shield in the titanium might not be worth it.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I have had my Jackson Nexgen for years and wouldn't trade for anything else I've seen so far.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

Lincoln Viking with 4C lense technology. I was looking at hoods in my LWS with no intention of buying one. They offered to let me try it out in the back room. I left the shop $300 poorer but I am happy as hell with my hood. The clarity and color spectrum through this hood is unreal. The only color that doesn't come through is purple, which looks black when the arc is flowing.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

i would look into what helmet fits best for you and you can also get consumable parts for the easiest ie protective shelding glass, and battery's.. not use getting the best helment if you cant get the face glass for it when you need it..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.

I just got back from Fabtech where I got an in-use demo of the Optrel vegaview 2.5. The full color lens system gets rid of the traditional monochrome view of the average helmet, and the field of view is much wider than usual. Great helmet. I'm going to get one to replace my Miller Digital Elite.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

I have each of the miller helmets. The elite and infinity. I find the Elite fits better and with the infinity I get a lot of glare on the inside lens from the lights above me when Im welding. Makes it harder to focus. I do have a Speedglas 9001xxi PAPR on the way. Depending on what you're going to be doing really will depend on what one you get. I like the Millers because of the X-mode and the ease of getting parts. A half mask dosent fit well enough for me under both Millers hence why the 3M PAPR is on its way. Most of my work is done on a bench and under 100 amps. Cant say anything about the Optrel
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Optrel e684.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

Lincoln Viking with 4C lense technology. The photos on my box accurately depict what you'll see through this lense.
Attachments
Inactive lense. New style on left.
Inactive lense. New style on left.
20161126_112313.jpg (35.26 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Activated lenses. New style on left.
Activated lenses. New style on left.
20161126_112319.jpg (33.02 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I know I'm late but I've got the Optrel e684 too and it's perfect for TIG with the auto tint level adjustment just like that Viking lens. Viking is blue Optrel is green but once you're lit up it's hard to notice the shading.
You can't go wrong with either and if you TIG more than any other process, you'll be thankful but even with stick, you'd be thankful.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)