General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
autobionics
    Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Hello All,

I am currently planning on fabricating a full exhaust system for a current project. I have done a lot of research on exhaust design and have also contacted companies about this, however here's the rub, they all want ridiculous amounts of money which I simply can't afford. I have design software that allows me to spec the exhaust pipe sizing and lengths etc, so I figure it's about time to start making it!

Anyway, to the point, I have seen many pictures of some superb looking stainless welds on thin walled 304 tubing and was wondering what welding set-up these people must use. The welds are obviously TIG'd but what consumable used I don't know, what is apparent is that there in no heavy dis colourisation and HAZ around the weld, in-fact it is very clean and has a bronze tint. Any stainless welding I have done before has come out a little black looking, but that was with a 316 consumable and no gas lens, basically used the torch set up I use for most other stuff!

Does anybody have a tips or set-up, such as gas, tungsten, lens, consumable for me to have a go with?

Thanks in advance
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

when the weld comes out looking black and grey that sometimes indicates too much heat... Nice sharp point and enough heat to puddle nice without having to feed to fast. could always polish it with the hook and loop pads from grainger.