General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
mister bobo
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:23 pm

http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/safety3/index.htm

I got myself real sick the other day, just puttering around in the garage, building my worktable. It had happened a couple of times before, but I chalked it up to being lazy & not grinding the metal down properly-Tuesday night was as sick as I have ever been in my life- and that includes the old days of cornin' up ! Click on the link above and I had those same symptoms.
I was simply MIG welding mild steel with my LN-25 off the bobcat,shielding w/ C-25 @ 20cfh. Welded,cut,weld,cut-you know the drill-started not feeling great, chalked it up to the winter blues. Finished up, got worse.
Long story short (notice that whenever anyone says that, it's usually too late?) I was 80% recovered by am, went on into my other job. My wife who works as a nurse analyst and researches this sort of stuff for a living, sends me 2 links. The above one spooks me most and includes the info from the other link I had. I have usually took the time to clean galvanized real good, but didn't realize that a simple shielding gas/fumes would put me down, just another ghost story that would never happen to me-& good Lord willing, it won't!

Be careful dammit!
mister bobo
GLwelder

In the Shipyard we called it galvanized poisoning. If I had to weld on galvanized, I would grind what I could, try to have a small fan blowing on it. Don't use allot of air just enough to blow the smoke or fumes away for you. If you inhale some fumes (not allot) you can drink some milk to coat your stomach.

It work for me.