General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Tim1982
    Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:19 am

Just have a few questions about what gauge of stainless to use and what weld procedure to use. Was thinking of tig or stick. Your thoughts on this?
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome to the forum...

1. I would do tig if you have it for aesthetics purposes.

2. I would look at other regular carbon steel fire pits on youtube and see their thickness and see what they have.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have a SS fire ring that was made out of sch 40 pipe pieces. About 1/4 inch thick. Just remember SS in an application like a fire ring will warp and bend in lots of odd ways when subject to fire pit use.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I don't know why you would use stainless for a fire pit... ITs gonna get discolored brown and ugly, if your lucky the exterior might stay pretty but if what your looking for is a nice exterior, I would either do a tradiitonal brick one and plaster some stainless sheets on the outside but I would not build it out of stainless.

That being out of the way, IF I was to do it out of stainless I would do 3/16" or 1/4" I don't know how else you will avoid the warp, you could also frame it with 1" square tubing and put one plate on the inside and another on the outside but its a lot of work to do it. Never done anything like that, just putting my thoughts down.
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

WAAAAIt a minute, did you mean a fire put inside with a chimney type thing or like a fire put for wood burning and grilling outside?
if there's a welder, there's a way
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Mine is just outside rings for burning and grilling.
I have more questions than answers

Josh