General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks for all the reply's,

I will probably buy one of those HF notchers, I believe they can be run off a regular electric drill or a drill press which is a plus point for me, I can definetley see that coming in handy, a lot.

Unfortunately, they want this thing done in the next 2 days so I have a guy out on site doing the cutting, notching and fitup during the day and I come out at night to do the welding and make sure its all correct, which is fine with me and we will probably make the deadline but I spent 2 hours welding up holes, inserting spacers to fill gaps and welding them in.

I Also used the MIG to fill holes as it can run weak enough for me to stack the welds, takes a couple of minutes of non-stop welding to fill the hole but it gets there and I then have a backing of sorts then I stick weld over it.

Just a lot of time to fill holes, proper fit-up would make a world of difference here. But I can say now that I have no doubt in my mind that this thing is really, really strong. Its a seriously supportive design, way overkill for tires in my opinion but they want the existing one duplicated so here we are.... Building structural bridge supports for tires :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

You can run them with whatever drill you have, even battery powered.

Jeff, what Noddy said.
The smaller hole saws aren't that expensive compared to a rotabroach. The Bacho (Snap-On) hold up quite well even in SS if handled with care.
Last edited by AndersK on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks Anders..Eastwood has a nice notcher I might have to get but I don't want to buy their saws, I would rather get Morse or Blu-mol..it hurts to wreck a good tool but I know notchers are hard on bits.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Well, here are some pictures of my project all done and painted.
IMG_1861.jpg
IMG_1861.jpg (36.51 KiB) Viewed 827 times
IMG_1850.jpg
IMG_1850.jpg (53.98 KiB) Viewed 827 times
IMG_1858.jpg
IMG_1858.jpg (66.86 KiB) Viewed 827 times
IMG_1864.jpg
IMG_1864.jpg (49 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Took longer than I expected but it turned out pretty good.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Horstrax
    Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Look up Tube noticing without a notcher on u tube. The Fabricator
This works great can notch any angle Easley and fast. I never use a notcher any more after I tried this.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

I do it a little differently on something like that. Get your angles and cut the pipe as if it were swauare tube, Then go to Lowbuck tools and buy the notcher with the appropriate kit for the tube you'll use.I can bang that rack together in short order with that and some .035 wire in the mig.
The only way I ever break out the Pro-tools hole saw type kit is fancy stainless or copper for a jewelry fit. Everything else goes to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gNov_ue4N4
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

youtube of guy doing copes with basic tools.https:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHBanmfn_CA&t=40s
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil